11.4.05

life in a glass box

one thing that needs to be removed for the lexicon of work e-mail etiquette is the use of "Regards" as a sign-off line. For those outside of the office life, I present this simple example:

John,


Your report is late.

Regards,
Bruce Yerboss


it has to be the single-most cold and emotionless way to give an ending salutation, ranking even below "Sincerely" (which was probably the most generic sign-off during the days when people actually wrote letters). "Regards." It's like a formal way of saying "meh. I'm only writing you because I have to. here comes my name."


some try to warm it up by writing "best regards," which is definitely better. But I say why not just write "Sincerely"? or nothing at all? I tend to sign off with "thanks," but I think that's because I'm always asking people to do something for me. Though there are plenty of times when it doesn't fit, either, yet I use it anyways. Ex:


Bruce,

I sent you the report yesterday. Check your Inbox.

thanks,

John

what am I thanking him for? For berating and chastising me? No--just a mechanical slip of grammar. It's the equivalent of when someone asks "What's up?" and you automatically blurt out, "Pretty good!" But I like the idea of "thanks." It's a conciliatory gesture which implies goodwill and appreciation. I'm sticking with it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, regards used to make me crazy until I began a PhD program for English and started getting letters signed "Cheers", which also doesn't usually fit the message:

Duke-
Your committee met to discuss your progress in the program, and we think you should drop out.
Cheers,
"Committee Chair"


This phony "Cheers" (are we drinking or sending emails?) makes me long for the simple detachment of a "regards."
Great post,
Dukerino

12:01 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

incidentally, I actually like "cheers" a lot--perhaps I, too, am an Anglophile (like my friend Mr. Wiser).

and yet if I were to receive it in the manner you mentioned, I think its status would drop off the cliff.

1:16 PM  
Blogger David Chin said...

yeah, i started signing off "cheers" in my messages to a work-related email list just because i'd seen a bunch of brits (scots, and english) using it. a brit friend of mine did say, though, that "cheers" is really non-commital, and just a step above "fuck off".

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that's great. I'll have to ask the Brit down the hall how he reacts to those emails (same dept). Perversely, that may actually make me *want* to sign off with "cheers" from now on (especially in emails to my committee members).

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home