keep on skankin'
"if i wanted to find the song 'Landslide' by Fleetwood Mac I have to remember that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1983 pile, but didn't give it to them for personal reasons."
- High Fidelity
new task for myself (that I decided upon when I woke at the God-foresaken hour of 4:45am this morning):
traverse through my music collection album-by-album so that I'll listen to things I haven't heard in a while (and hopefully resurrect some forgotten gems). My second goal is to attempt to post a quick blurb about each album, hopefully something about how it affected me when I got it or how it fits into my life. Could be interesting, could be boring, might end after, oh, 4 entries. But here goes. If I make it to my records or tapes, I'll be impressed (and it will be about 2 years from now).
#1: American Skathic - A Portrait of Midwest Ska Past and Present - compilation on Jump Up! records
Back in '96 and '97 I was living in East Quad dorm at the U. of Michigan. I was in a student group called the EQ Music Co-op that would put on concerts in the little basement snack bar, the Halfway Inn (affectionately known as the Halfass). Two of the guys in the co-op loved ska, and would put on ska shows all the time. I picked up this CD at one of those shows. Okay, a lot of the tracks are pretty shaky, but it was sure fun to see live--all dancey and energetic. Plus it was one of the few "scenes" that I have ever been involved in, albeit only tangentially (I never dressed in black and white checkered patterns). A good portion of the bands were soooo young; a lot of the horn players were in their high school marching bands (and probably hoping that being in a band would help them get girls). Incidentally, listening to the CD confirms the fact that midwestern white boys shouldn't try to affect a Jamaican accent.
Some highlights from the CD:
- High Fidelity
new task for myself (that I decided upon when I woke at the God-foresaken hour of 4:45am this morning):
traverse through my music collection album-by-album so that I'll listen to things I haven't heard in a while (and hopefully resurrect some forgotten gems). My second goal is to attempt to post a quick blurb about each album, hopefully something about how it affected me when I got it or how it fits into my life. Could be interesting, could be boring, might end after, oh, 4 entries. But here goes. If I make it to my records or tapes, I'll be impressed (and it will be about 2 years from now).
#1: American Skathic - A Portrait of Midwest Ska Past and Present - compilation on Jump Up! records
Back in '96 and '97 I was living in East Quad dorm at the U. of Michigan. I was in a student group called the EQ Music Co-op that would put on concerts in the little basement snack bar, the Halfway Inn (affectionately known as the Halfass). Two of the guys in the co-op loved ska, and would put on ska shows all the time. I picked up this CD at one of those shows. Okay, a lot of the tracks are pretty shaky, but it was sure fun to see live--all dancey and energetic. Plus it was one of the few "scenes" that I have ever been involved in, albeit only tangentially (I never dressed in black and white checkered patterns). A good portion of the bands were soooo young; a lot of the horn players were in their high school marching bands (and probably hoping that being in a band would help them get girls). Incidentally, listening to the CD confirms the fact that midwestern white boys shouldn't try to affect a Jamaican accent.
Some highlights from the CD:
- Tom Collins and the Cocktail Shakers, "Chuck Taylors"
- Invaders, "Feel Like I Should"
- Jack Kevorkian and the Suicide Machines*, "Hey"
- Gangster Fun, "You Shook Me All Night Long" (yes, a ska version of the well-known song)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home