tales from the land of the rising sun
I've never been to japan in the warm season before: it's hot like swampflorida here. You step outside and humidity just gloms onto your body. New cultural quirk I'd not seen before: people carry handkerchiefs to dab their foreheads. All people, from the trendiest dude to the most ancient woman. I thought it was kind of obsessive at first, but now I'm thinking of lifting a washcloth from the hotel.
This morning, after getting up at the ripe hour of 5am, I took a run around Ebina. This little town used to be a farming area and still has a lot of canals that feed the remaining rice paddies. The plump, growing rice grains smell strangely fragrant and appetizing wafting on the humid air.
I just fixed a rattly A/C unit in the office by jamming a coffee stirrer between the unit and the wall. My japanese colleagues were amazed by my efficiency and mad problem-solving skillz, not to mention my deft handling of a coffee stirrer. God knows how long they've been dealing with it, but apparently it takes one acoustics engineer (who is slightly OCD about sound quality) about thirty seconds to fix it.
We just finished our lunch hour by checking out youtube videos on transformers. Then I showed them my trapeze videos from nyc. Apparently, youtube transcends all international and cultural boundaries and google continues to take over the world.
Logic goes out the window at about three in the afternoon. That's when jetlagbrain takes over. It's like when you were a kid and tried to stay up as late as possible and got all slap-happy with your friends. I just put a hardhat on for no particular reason and found it endlessly amusing.
I still haven't found out what "pasta that tastes pasta" tastes like. That's on wednesday.
This morning, after getting up at the ripe hour of 5am, I took a run around Ebina. This little town used to be a farming area and still has a lot of canals that feed the remaining rice paddies. The plump, growing rice grains smell strangely fragrant and appetizing wafting on the humid air.
I just fixed a rattly A/C unit in the office by jamming a coffee stirrer between the unit and the wall. My japanese colleagues were amazed by my efficiency and mad problem-solving skillz, not to mention my deft handling of a coffee stirrer. God knows how long they've been dealing with it, but apparently it takes one acoustics engineer (who is slightly OCD about sound quality) about thirty seconds to fix it.
We just finished our lunch hour by checking out youtube videos on transformers. Then I showed them my trapeze videos from nyc. Apparently, youtube transcends all international and cultural boundaries and google continues to take over the world.
Logic goes out the window at about three in the afternoon. That's when jetlagbrain takes over. It's like when you were a kid and tried to stay up as late as possible and got all slap-happy with your friends. I just put a hardhat on for no particular reason and found it endlessly amusing.
I still haven't found out what "pasta that tastes pasta" tastes like. That's on wednesday.



4 Comments:
"I just put a hardhat on for no particular reason and found it endlessly amusing."
That made me laugh. Sleep deprevation makes me crazy. Once I cried tears of joy in a professor's office because she had had toddler's handprints in paint on the wall.
I want to hear all about the pasta that tastes like pasta. And if you have pasta that doesn't taste like pasta, I'd like to hear about that as well.
I walk through a Hard Hat area everyday sans hat. I like living dangerously.
today I had pasta that tasted like mayonnaise. Reminded me of a church picnic, though I'm not sure if I've ever been to a church picnic.
Post a Comment
<< Home