on a holiday / so many miles; looking for a place to stay
in honor of my recent purchase of plane tickets to NYC (first trip since I went there to resume my alcohol-infused life), I decided to show the internet my progress on the checklist of Reasons to Start Drinking Again.
martinis with katie - done and done. and done. a lot. I introduced her to bombay sapphire, extra dry with a twist. she showed me her katini: three parts ketel one or stolichnya, one part sweet vermouth. spicy and potent.
all that great wine I bought as a reward for not drinking - the bull's blood was particularly memorable. I think I've gone through about half of the bottles I bought.
arbor brewing company - they had happy hour during all the world cup matches (joy). their home-brewed phat abbot dubbel belgian-style is the only beer that katie likes.
young's double chocolate stout - not yet!
scotch - I fell in love with balvenie's double wood when drinking with some belgian co-workers in japan.
free drinks during international travel - natch.
sake in japan - the sake bar my last night in kyoto was the highlight of my last trip there. made friends with the proprietor, who was originally from israel, when I applauded his vegetarian options. as he said to me, "I came here as a vegetarian twenty years ago. I soon discovered you can't survive in japan unless you're willing to eat a little fish." s'true.
tom&jerrys with bri at christmas - check.
going to miller's bar in dearborn with lynn - done (finally!). rated top-20 hambugers in the nation by GQ magazine, which is funny because it is a tiny place with no windows. there's no menu and they don't even give you a plate; they just serve your burger on a piece of waxed paper. classic.
stella with alissa - oh yeah. she's quite the stella promoter.
40s of PBR at jeff's birthday - hmm...not this year. though he did give me a PBR fuzzy wristband.
mulled wine - holy cloves! somehow I missed this one last winter.
champagne toasts at weddings and new years - um, actually no champagne at new years this year. no weddings either.
because my mom drinks more than I do right now - well, I think I've officially overtaken her again, but I was starting to worry the other night when I was talking to her on the phone and she mentioned that she spilled some mike's hard lemonade....on her bed. I didn't ask further.
I really want to try more good tequila - katie and I did the tequila tasting one hazy night this past winter. I like the reposado; she's an anejo woman. but we both agree that sauza is better than cuervo.
all the good beer on tap at slows barBQ - damn straight. phil only has good stuff on tap. if you want miller lite you get a bottle. the most interesting beer I've had there thus far: rogue chipotle ale. mmm.....smoky.
manhattans - I've made a few, but I have to admit I've somewhat lost my taste for them. often they're just too sweet. still love me some bourbon, though.
never got to try karen's soco punch - still!! this will have to be remedied on the next trip.
red wine is good for your heart....or something like that - my preferred choice with a nice dinner.
'cause red bull tastes like shite - and I haven't drunk it since.
damn. why do I suddenly feel like a lush?
martinis with katie - done and done. and done. a lot. I introduced her to bombay sapphire, extra dry with a twist. she showed me her katini: three parts ketel one or stolichnya, one part sweet vermouth. spicy and potent.
all that great wine I bought as a reward for not drinking - the bull's blood was particularly memorable. I think I've gone through about half of the bottles I bought.
arbor brewing company - they had happy hour during all the world cup matches (joy). their home-brewed phat abbot dubbel belgian-style is the only beer that katie likes.
young's double chocolate stout - not yet!
scotch - I fell in love with balvenie's double wood when drinking with some belgian co-workers in japan.
free drinks during international travel - natch.
sake in japan - the sake bar my last night in kyoto was the highlight of my last trip there. made friends with the proprietor, who was originally from israel, when I applauded his vegetarian options. as he said to me, "I came here as a vegetarian twenty years ago. I soon discovered you can't survive in japan unless you're willing to eat a little fish." s'true.
tom&jerrys with bri at christmas - check.
going to miller's bar in dearborn with lynn - done (finally!). rated top-20 hambugers in the nation by GQ magazine, which is funny because it is a tiny place with no windows. there's no menu and they don't even give you a plate; they just serve your burger on a piece of waxed paper. classic.
stella with alissa - oh yeah. she's quite the stella promoter.
40s of PBR at jeff's birthday - hmm...not this year. though he did give me a PBR fuzzy wristband.
mulled wine - holy cloves! somehow I missed this one last winter.
champagne toasts at weddings and new years - um, actually no champagne at new years this year. no weddings either.
because my mom drinks more than I do right now - well, I think I've officially overtaken her again, but I was starting to worry the other night when I was talking to her on the phone and she mentioned that she spilled some mike's hard lemonade....on her bed. I didn't ask further.
I really want to try more good tequila - katie and I did the tequila tasting one hazy night this past winter. I like the reposado; she's an anejo woman. but we both agree that sauza is better than cuervo.
all the good beer on tap at slows barBQ - damn straight. phil only has good stuff on tap. if you want miller lite you get a bottle. the most interesting beer I've had there thus far: rogue chipotle ale. mmm.....smoky.
manhattans - I've made a few, but I have to admit I've somewhat lost my taste for them. often they're just too sweet. still love me some bourbon, though.
never got to try karen's soco punch - still!! this will have to be remedied on the next trip.
red wine is good for your heart....or something like that - my preferred choice with a nice dinner.
'cause red bull tastes like shite - and I haven't drunk it since.
damn. why do I suddenly feel like a lush?



3 Comments:
You forgot two very important drinking moments - red wine w/ Art School Confidential and Tequila w/ An Inconvenient Truth!
I am glad I was able to introduce you to Stella, she told me she likes you.
....and pink champagne at the drive-in to see the davinci code. apparently, when I originally concocted the list I had totally forgotten about the secretive joy of drinking in the movie theater.
Actually the katini is more like half vodka, half sweet vermouth. Gotta love sweet vermouth!
Post a Comment
<< Home