10.7.06

turn off your mind, relax and float downstream

katie, on the watching of the world cup finals match between italy and france:
"it's like a hormone party in my body, flipping between 'you've got to win!' and 'oh, he's got pretty eyes.'"
my nine day vacation ended yesterday, bookended by watching world cup matches with katie. really, having a beer in a bar at 2:30 in the afternoon on a friday is the only way to watch football and also the best way to begin a big stretch of time off work. the rest of the vacation was spent forging through the forests of northern michigan and the upper peninsula. pictures are forthcoming. highlights included:

- watching five world cup matches

- taking morning pictures of the pristine little bass lake, like last year

- spooning brian

- dressing up like pirates to see the new pirates of the carribean movie (and also learning that canadian pirates say "arrrrr.....eh?")

- going to see the byzantine monks in the keewenaw peninsula to buy their thimbleberry jam and rum-soaked cakes.

- skinny-dipping in three different lakes with five different people, once in broad daylight, and once just out of view from the monastary (I bet the monks go au naturel as well)

- lying on sun-warmed rocks by lake superior to dry off after swimming

- two words: sherbet martinis (inspired by katie, invented by me)

- seeing many loved ones (I and brian's friendship is officially old enough to vote and buy cigarettes, but a few years shy of legal drinking age, though that doesn't seem to stop it from tipping back a few)

- being inspired by experiences and some peaceful quiet time to make sure that those around me know they're loved.

I'm still working out the details of the last one, but I'm using this former plan as a base of operations. and I think I'm going to dust off the pen and paper for a little old-fashioned correspondence.

-------------------
I forgot to mention the amazingincreditasty finnish pancakes (pannu kakku) at the little diner in Houghton. sweet, custard-like treasures with rasberry jam to top them. good God they were wonderful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see the photos! It's hard to be back though isn't it?

4:02 PM  
Blogger Long_Division said...

I share Katie's sentiment about the world cup--I don't know if I'm focused on their footwork or their calves.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home