let me tell you how it will be
well, it's pretty much unanimous to drop revolution #9. however, I had to trim a few more tracks to fit on a 80 minute CD-R, so here is the final casualty list:
x glass onion
x piggies
x honey pie
and, with a bullet,
x revolution 9
granted, it's a little sad to lose piggies if only because it's funny to hear john say "what they need's a damn good whacking!" but I admit the song as a whole is a bit tiresome. Is it my prejudice against harpsichord, or perhaps the charles manson connection? (though helter skelter is one of the best songs they ever recorded)
honey pie has some appeal because I always envisioned paul sitting at a piano in bar somewhere, plinking out the little ditty with the giant empty brandy snifter on top of the piano for tips. but it can definitely be done without.
I'll be perfectly honest and say I've never really liked glass onion, mostly because of the self-referencing lyrics and because I get really tired of john saying "..., man!" And enough has been said about revolution 9.
all told, it comes out to 26 songs and 78 and a half minutes. just call me phil spector, except without all the drippy string arrangements.
x glass onion
x piggies
x honey pie
and, with a bullet,
x revolution 9
granted, it's a little sad to lose piggies if only because it's funny to hear john say "what they need's a damn good whacking!" but I admit the song as a whole is a bit tiresome. Is it my prejudice against harpsichord, or perhaps the charles manson connection? (though helter skelter is one of the best songs they ever recorded)
honey pie has some appeal because I always envisioned paul sitting at a piano in bar somewhere, plinking out the little ditty with the giant empty brandy snifter on top of the piano for tips. but it can definitely be done without.
I'll be perfectly honest and say I've never really liked glass onion, mostly because of the self-referencing lyrics and because I get really tired of john saying "..., man!" And enough has been said about revolution 9.
all told, it comes out to 26 songs and 78 and a half minutes. just call me phil spector, except without all the drippy string arrangements.



4 Comments:
Well done Mix Master DJ Jazzy JDub.
I agree with you about the harpsichord - it almost always gets my hackles up.
And I don't know you, but I bet you're Phil Spector without the hair and the homicidal tendencies as well.
well, I do have complete pretentious confidence in my own musical opinions, but then--who doesn't?
i am so totally late, but i *love* glass onion. am i weird?
Post a Comment
<< Home