31.3.06

talking sweet about nothing

saw this article today, and in honor of the title** of this jumbled assortment of words on a screen I decided to ruminate on what makes baby seal clubbing so heinous in our eyes (well, some of us, anyways). secondly, I figured I might as well actually write something for all the people who've found this site when searching for "baby seal clubbing" or "club the baby seals" or "i'd hit it like a baby seal." those of you looking for a post on "delicious baby seal" (and I know you're out there) will have to wait. probably forever.

so why is seal clubbing deemed so loathsome? I'm not even going to get into the argument about the taking of animal life for personal gain; most of us have no problem with animals being killed to feed and clothe us. so, I could think of a few reasons:

1. the young age and relative helplessness of the seals.

2. the use of fur in general, especially for frilly, unnecessary luxury items.

3. the brutal manner in which they're killed (as described in the article I linked up top).

4. the seals are cute. seriously.

in the case of #1, if you eat veal this one doesn't have much weight. or enjoy the supple softness of calfskin leather. granted, not everyone eats veal. but I don't remember anyone ever causing a scene at any italian places I've eaten at for serving baby cow. can you imagine if they served baby seal? reason #2 certainly has its merits but anyone who wears or uses leather can't really feel for the seal's plight, can they? my partner only buys non-leather shoes so I know it ain't easy to go leather-free. okay, #3. clubbing doesn't sound pretty. neither does dying from asphyxiation (fish). but very few people seem to care about the welfare of fish; if anything, all you hear about is outcry due to overfishing, bycatch, and whaling. which brings me to #4: the seals are cute. we hate killing things that are cute.

which is one reason you'll never see panda on the menu, except as a cute decoration. cutest fucking animals on the PLANET. we can't seem to get enough of them! they had that panda-cam at the national zoo in washington and were getting tens of thousands of hits a day.

panda-cam, with tree branch g-string. relating to nothing, the sound feed
from the panda cam makes a pretty good noise collage


so, walk to the fridge in your doc martens***, grab a ham sandwich and watch these cute panda videos.

**for a quick story on where The Baby Seal Club name originated, click here. in summary: I knew Brian would appreciate its irreverent, snarky humor, which is why I know he'll also appreciate this whole post.

***does anyone besides me still wear doc martens?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, admittedly, i still wear doc martens. sometimes to my corporate job. mostly because they're comfy and they last a million years. this brings me to the animal issue. though-provoking post, by the way. we all pick and choose what we're going to be ok with. knowing a shitload about how animals are killed via koner chameleon, i still eat beef, chicken and fish when i can afford it. but i draw the line at veal. i wear leather products, but i draw the line at things like foie gras. the shits gross anyway. i guess my line lies somewhere around how the animals are treated while their alive, as opposed to how grotesquely they are killed. make sense? it may not. but it does to me. it's all about lines and where we draw them. fur coats? unless you're in russia, it's just a way to prove how much money one has. because let's face it, there's nothing attractive about wearing another animal. most of us do it out of practicality. leather shoes last a long time! anyway, there's my thoughts today. i felt i should shout back, because i'd been shouted out in the original post. snap!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a panda! I want to hug it and love it and make it my friend.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Long_Division said...

I always wanted to be in a band called Panda Meat, for the exact reasons you chose The Baby Seal Club as your blog name.

Did you know they are serving kangaroo burgers in the East Village? I saw a sign in a restaurant window the other night.

12:51 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

there are restaurants in japan that specifically serve whale meat. i've always been curious, but never gone.

and then there's this site that makes some sort of human flesh substitute. it's all vegetarian, but supposed to mimic human flesh flavor and texture and i'm sure the question everyone's asking is...who is the resident expert on this?

8:37 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

b-dub, you're the snapnatch. now, of course, I remember your docs.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, my God. I accidentally just viewed your profile, and it has now been viewed 666 times. Did you know that Satan's middle name is also William?

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home