20.3.06

listen you will see, coming on in to me

one sad element of becoming a manager at work is now I don't get to listen to my headphones as much. I guess part of being responsible for others is that you have to be aware of what's going on around you. I love that my headphones can immediately transport me to another space within my mindworld, impart another mood to my day. the warmth of summer in belle & sebastian's "mayfly" or the dark cool of "group four" by massive attack. then, when I slip the headphones down around my neck, I'm thrown back into the office and the conversations and computers humming around me, but I can still hear the music, tinny and distant. I'm caught between two worlds: the everyday of my surroundings and an aural portal to the imagery in my mind. apparently, my virtual reality comes through my ears.

I've often contemplated the question, "would you rather be blind or deaf?" and while I can understand that sight is more important for functioning in society and being independent, I'd miss my hearing more. hearing connects me to the world. I think sight alone would be more like watching television, or dreamlife--I'd see everthing and interact but would feel detached. I think sound drives directly into the emotional center of my brain, whereas sight is a more superficial sense for me.

I love your smile, darlin', but I prefer your laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home