made up my mind to make a new start
the Great House Reorganization (in order that it may be sold to a normal human being, the type of person who doesn't tend to agree with my decorating vernacular) occurred this weekend.* Now, I am fully capable of understanding that things need to be made tidy, clutter reduced, and little evil sculptures made by my grandmother have to sleep in a box for some time rather than scaring off potential buyers. I am, however, a house-selling novice, and so went directly to the source for assistance: my mother. She is an expert in this area, having bought and sold more homes in her lifetime than most realtors. but I knew my asking for her help could be perilous. Visions of doilies and fake flowers everywhere heightened my anxiety. But I had not fully prepared for what was to come, not even in the 28 years I've been dealing with her.
She shows up, ever-dependable husband in tow, with an SUV full of accessories. I start to sweat. She grabs a box from the SUV, greenery and baskets poking out of the top, and walks in the door. At this point I have to switch to a narrative format to capture the exact nuance and exchange that took place.
Mom: [handing me a plastic taped up bag, contents indiscernable] "Here's a statue of St. Joseph. You have to bury it upside down in your garden."
JW: "wh......WHAT?"
M: "You have to bury him UPSIDE DOWN IN YOUR GARDEN." (repeated louder and slower because apparently I am a slow listener) "It helps sell your house faster."
JW: "um....no thanks."
M: "Seriously, it works. It's condoned by the Catholic church."
JW: "But I'm not Catholic anymore."
M: "Do you want to sell your house or not?"
JW: [pleading] "But what if I don't believe it? What if it doesn't mean anything to me?"
M: [as grave and serious as you can imagine] "I believe it."
JW: "how about this: if you help me re-do my flower gardens, I'll let you bury St. Joseph."
you don't win a battle like this. needless to say, she left my house without the statue. in spite of that, within a span of three hours, this woman-on-a-mission rearranged and transformed my house. I have to say, it looks pretty good. The little flowery seat cushions on the kitchen chairs have got to go, though.
*how wrong is it to have a parenthetical statement longer than the original sentence? no jeers from the english zealots, please.
She shows up, ever-dependable husband in tow, with an SUV full of accessories. I start to sweat. She grabs a box from the SUV, greenery and baskets poking out of the top, and walks in the door. At this point I have to switch to a narrative format to capture the exact nuance and exchange that took place.
Mom: [handing me a plastic taped up bag, contents indiscernable] "Here's a statue of St. Joseph. You have to bury it upside down in your garden."
JW: "wh......WHAT?"
M: "You have to bury him UPSIDE DOWN IN YOUR GARDEN." (repeated louder and slower because apparently I am a slow listener) "It helps sell your house faster."
JW: "um....no thanks."
M: "Seriously, it works. It's condoned by the Catholic church."
JW: "But I'm not Catholic anymore."
M: "Do you want to sell your house or not?"
JW: [pleading] "But what if I don't believe it? What if it doesn't mean anything to me?"
M: [as grave and serious as you can imagine] "I believe it."
JW: "how about this: if you help me re-do my flower gardens, I'll let you bury St. Joseph."
you don't win a battle like this. needless to say, she left my house without the statue. in spite of that, within a span of three hours, this woman-on-a-mission rearranged and transformed my house. I have to say, it looks pretty good. The little flowery seat cushions on the kitchen chairs have got to go, though.
*how wrong is it to have a parenthetical statement longer than the original sentence? no jeers from the english zealots, please.



3 Comments:
Considering my overuse of parenthetical statements, I think you have nothing to worry about.
I want to see your house in its current "mom style"!
Love the St. Joseph dialogue.
mom is also searching for curtains for me. apparently, houses need these sorts of things. then the mom influence will be in full effect.
Post a Comment
<< Home