if the cars drove themselves, way to be
this morning I'm riding the michigan avenue bus to downtown detroit. I haven't ridden this bus in about four years. back then I was living in detroit and working at one of ford's research labs in dearborn. I rode that route for about a year, often smiling internally at the irony of riding a bus to go work for the #2 automaker in the world.
as we cross the city limits into detroit, we're greeted by the scenic vista of a strip club next to a gritty motel, followed by an adult bookstore. the tangible elements of an invisible demarcation between cities. further along I see all of the curious landmarks and businesses I used to pass every day. the tel-way hamburger stand ("coffee 35 cents at the counter"), various bars and church storefronts, the laundromat with the oppressively dirty windows, the beautiful, tragic ruin that was the michigan central train station, and all the various shells of buildings that I used to daydream about renovating. finally, we pass my old apartment building, discernable from its dilapidated brethren by its tidy awnings and new windows.
downtown emerges from the glow of a winter morning. simetimes I romanticize the bus and its curious blend of customers and wonder why I can't take the bus to work. but then I remember that I left my house at 7am to travel these ten miles to downtown by 8:30; a consequence of the limited bus schedule. detroit, detroit: when will you have a fully functional transport system? a city where one-third of the inhabitants don't own a car.
the bus drops me off, 7:40am. I haven't been down here since the super bowl and it still looks pretty clean and spruced up. brightly painted facades over the empty buildings. the city is still barely awake at this point and I have plenty of time to wander around downtown. all the old buildings are familar and inviting; the crazy art deco guardian building looks nice backlit by the morning sun. I decide to look for a place to grab some coffee, which can me a bit challenging in d-town (unless you want starbucks; of course there's a starbucks).
I find a chain coffee place by the skating rink in campus martius. almost no one in here, just me and my cup of half-decaf surrounded by a bountiful supply of sugaryummy baked goods. it's sunny and smells delicious in here and they're playing elvis costello on the canned radio.
I didn't have to take the bus this morning. of course I could have driven. but I can be a stubborn bastard, and even if I have to get up an hour earlier to take the bus, I will. because they don't expect you to. they say you won't. I say build it and they will come. I'm fiercely individualistic in many things, but also feel strongly for the collective good. a naive love of humanity, perhaps, but I do love engaging with people. so many americans spend their lives trying to set up their own personal castles on their own private islands, surrounded by the ramparts and moats of their material wealth, however great or small. I'm not against personal space, just the idea that everything is better if it's mine and mine alone.
8:15. time to head back towards the courthouse and start my first day of jury duty.
as we cross the city limits into detroit, we're greeted by the scenic vista of a strip club next to a gritty motel, followed by an adult bookstore. the tangible elements of an invisible demarcation between cities. further along I see all of the curious landmarks and businesses I used to pass every day. the tel-way hamburger stand ("coffee 35 cents at the counter"), various bars and church storefronts, the laundromat with the oppressively dirty windows, the beautiful, tragic ruin that was the michigan central train station, and all the various shells of buildings that I used to daydream about renovating. finally, we pass my old apartment building, discernable from its dilapidated brethren by its tidy awnings and new windows.
downtown emerges from the glow of a winter morning. simetimes I romanticize the bus and its curious blend of customers and wonder why I can't take the bus to work. but then I remember that I left my house at 7am to travel these ten miles to downtown by 8:30; a consequence of the limited bus schedule. detroit, detroit: when will you have a fully functional transport system? a city where one-third of the inhabitants don't own a car.
the bus drops me off, 7:40am. I haven't been down here since the super bowl and it still looks pretty clean and spruced up. brightly painted facades over the empty buildings. the city is still barely awake at this point and I have plenty of time to wander around downtown. all the old buildings are familar and inviting; the crazy art deco guardian building looks nice backlit by the morning sun. I decide to look for a place to grab some coffee, which can me a bit challenging in d-town (unless you want starbucks; of course there's a starbucks).
I find a chain coffee place by the skating rink in campus martius. almost no one in here, just me and my cup of half-decaf surrounded by a bountiful supply of sugaryummy baked goods. it's sunny and smells delicious in here and they're playing elvis costello on the canned radio.
I didn't have to take the bus this morning. of course I could have driven. but I can be a stubborn bastard, and even if I have to get up an hour earlier to take the bus, I will. because they don't expect you to. they say you won't. I say build it and they will come. I'm fiercely individualistic in many things, but also feel strongly for the collective good. a naive love of humanity, perhaps, but I do love engaging with people. so many americans spend their lives trying to set up their own personal castles on their own private islands, surrounded by the ramparts and moats of their material wealth, however great or small. I'm not against personal space, just the idea that everything is better if it's mine and mine alone.
8:15. time to head back towards the courthouse and start my first day of jury duty.



1 Comments:
Beautiful. I love that you took the bus to your first day of jury duty!
Post a Comment
<< Home