we're gonna have a good time
always wanting to defy convention when possible and never being one to miss a good party, I decided some years ago that instead of a birthday I would celebrate a birthweek. Saturday began my birthweek this year, and thus far it's been shaping up in grand fashion. Had dinner at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant, Annam, on Saturday night. I had the vegetarian curry in a clay pot (pictured in the link!), and it was superb. Sunday was the family birthday, which took place at the soon-to-be-famous Slows BarBQ in lovely D-troit. I had the beef short ribs, with their Slows' Spicy sauce; spec-TAC-ular.
I have been almost sugar-free for a month now, and yet my mother decided it was best to hasten my death by preparing the fatal chocolate dessert pictured above. Death By Chocolate? It can happen, folks. I decided to eat one piece, "because it's a special occasion," and was laid up with a headache about an hour later. So it goes. Instead of sleeping it off (as I usually do), I went on a glorious fall bike ride.
now, I'm not one that's big on presents but I received the most AMAZING gift from my grandmother. She's been doing some of the craziest ceramics lately (see her Pits of Hell for an example). I forgot that I commissioned a piece from her, and she came through better than I could have possibly imagined.
it's a giant chigger. I really can't explain the sublime beauty of it. Yes, those are red feathers glued to the back to represent the hairy spines.
I can only wait to see what else this birthweek will hold! Stay tuned for updates.
I have been almost sugar-free for a month now, and yet my mother decided it was best to hasten my death by preparing the fatal chocolate dessert pictured above. Death By Chocolate? It can happen, folks. I decided to eat one piece, "because it's a special occasion," and was laid up with a headache about an hour later. So it goes. Instead of sleeping it off (as I usually do), I went on a glorious fall bike ride.now, I'm not one that's big on presents but I received the most AMAZING gift from my grandmother. She's been doing some of the craziest ceramics lately (see her Pits of Hell for an example). I forgot that I commissioned a piece from her, and she came through better than I could have possibly imagined.
it's a giant chigger. I really can't explain the sublime beauty of it. Yes, those are red feathers glued to the back to represent the hairy spines.I can only wait to see what else this birthweek will hold! Stay tuned for updates.



6 Comments:
Your Grandma rules! Happy Birthday!
Eating like a king and insane ceramics that rule! Happy Birthday man!
Stay away from that cake dude. Those headaches suck, I feel your pain. Get someone to make you a natural cake with some splenda if they need sugar. I got one for my birthday this year. It was radical.
no sugar...no drinking. I'm starting to feel like a monk. Thank God for caffeine.
Will the chigger be making an appearance on Thursday? I want to see it in person!
I'm so glad I was able to convert someone into a Birthday Self Promoter. I've done my good deed for the year :)
oh man, i hate chiggers. tennessee, chiggers, very bad.
A friend of mine celebrates a birthweek, too. She took her last name and combined it with Hannukah (sp?) to create 'Vaydikkah'. I think I might have a birthweek come January. It will be my 30th, after all.
Post a Comment
<< Home