Cringe: the home edition
K and I have been having a lot of fun with the Cringe book. Oh, you don't know Cringe? You should. It's like a combination of middle school and camp and the best teen angst-ridden high school movies you can think of, except you're the outside observer and it's splayed out in full color for your voyeuristic pleasure. It's damn funny.
Sadly, I've never been in NYC for an actual Cringe reading session, so K and I've had to placate our own teen angst by sharing out-loud readings from the book while driving to Ann Arbor every day. It's a good foil for listening to NPR.
Last night we took it one step further and dug out our own journals and writings from years ago. Alas, I wasn't much of a journaler, so I was left only with random writings for various classes (from 3rd and 12th grade), as well as a few choice drawings from when I was eight or nine years old.
See, I drew and doodled incessantly for most of my grade-school years, and still have to resist the urge to turn class handouts and other documents into little patterns and curvy lines. When I was younger I was beset by various drawing phases: the dinosaur phase, the robot phase, the guns and tanks phase, etc. Interestingly, the only drawings to be saved by my mother (and lovingly placed in a folder for me to find twenty years later) were these drawings. They are appropriate, given that Friday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day*. Enjoy.
Note the frilly shirt and menacing pistol brazenly stored in the belt. Do not mess with this dude. Oh, and buckle shoes! Yeah!
Serge, the rogue french cannonballer. Bad hygiene and a worse attitude.

For this one I was clearly reaching my artistic limits. How to show a knife in the teeth? Clearly the pinnacle of bad-assedness. Just because he's wearing a Sgt. Pepper's jacket doesn't mean he won't rob you now and ask questions later. Dude is crazy! He's got a knife in his teeth!
*one of my favorite days of the year. If you got a voice mail from me on Friday, I don't apologize. If you didn't, and wish to next year, let me know.
Sadly, I've never been in NYC for an actual Cringe reading session, so K and I've had to placate our own teen angst by sharing out-loud readings from the book while driving to Ann Arbor every day. It's a good foil for listening to NPR.
Last night we took it one step further and dug out our own journals and writings from years ago. Alas, I wasn't much of a journaler, so I was left only with random writings for various classes (from 3rd and 12th grade), as well as a few choice drawings from when I was eight or nine years old.
See, I drew and doodled incessantly for most of my grade-school years, and still have to resist the urge to turn class handouts and other documents into little patterns and curvy lines. When I was younger I was beset by various drawing phases: the dinosaur phase, the robot phase, the guns and tanks phase, etc. Interestingly, the only drawings to be saved by my mother (and lovingly placed in a folder for me to find twenty years later) were these drawings. They are appropriate, given that Friday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day*. Enjoy.
For this one I was clearly reaching my artistic limits. How to show a knife in the teeth? Clearly the pinnacle of bad-assedness. Just because he's wearing a Sgt. Pepper's jacket doesn't mean he won't rob you now and ask questions later. Dude is crazy! He's got a knife in his teeth!
*one of my favorite days of the year. If you got a voice mail from me on Friday, I don't apologize. If you didn't, and wish to next year, let me know.



3 Comments:
You have my number. How did I miss out on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. (this is where you should start apologizing)
I don't really draw, but you've inspired me. From now on, I'm sketching everyone I know. With a peg leg. Maybe I can sell them outside the Met.
Ever wonder how you'd look as an amputee? Well, let me show you...
I have to admit: I only found out about Talk Like a Pirate Day because of facebook. Shameful.
And as for the phone calls, I think my voice was hoarse before we got to the Ts in my address book. Alissa got her call, rest assured. I think my strength flagged around the Ks.
Next year, start with Z and work backwards.
Post a Comment
<< Home