playing pianos filled with flames
I've suddenly become paranoid of keeping my cell phone in my pocket, due to a potent mixture of alarmist media, inconclusive science, and a strange twitching feeling which has developed in my left thigh. Hypochondriacs of the world unite and take over.
So, in searching for more information about cell phone frequencies and wondering about their similarity to microwave ovens, I found this particular gem from wikipedia:
Which is all to say: science is dangerous. Just ask Marie Curie, whose notebooks are apparently still so radioactive they have to be stored in a lead safe. In the meantime, I plan to wrap my cell phone in chocolate before putting it in my pocket; a sort of confectionary canary in this coal mine.
holland, 1945 - neutral milk hotel (have you listened to them in a while? they're as good as you remember.)
------------------
okay, I have to add this: Pandora just played "holland, 1945" and when asked why this song was played, Pandora's reply was that it "features great lyrics..." When the hell did a computer start passing judgment on what makes something great? Especially something as abstract as lyrics? I'm starting to agree with Josh: the virtual world is beginning to encroach upon my reality.
So, in searching for more information about cell phone frequencies and wondering about their similarity to microwave ovens, I found this particular gem from wikipedia:
Cooking food with microwaves was discovered by Percy Spencer while building magnetrons for radar sets at Raytheon. He was working on an active radar set when he noticed that a peanut chocolate bar he had in his pocket started to melt. The radar had melted his candy bar with microwaves.
Which is all to say: science is dangerous. Just ask Marie Curie, whose notebooks are apparently still so radioactive they have to be stored in a lead safe. In the meantime, I plan to wrap my cell phone in chocolate before putting it in my pocket; a sort of confectionary canary in this coal mine.
holland, 1945 - neutral milk hotel (have you listened to them in a while? they're as good as you remember.)
------------------
okay, I have to add this: Pandora just played "holland, 1945" and when asked why this song was played, Pandora's reply was that it "features great lyrics..." When the hell did a computer start passing judgment on what makes something great? Especially something as abstract as lyrics? I'm starting to agree with Josh: the virtual world is beginning to encroach upon my reality.



4 Comments:
the confectionary canary bit...that was blogging gold, my friend.
pure gold.
it's so saaaad to see the world agree that they'd rather see their faces filled with flies, and when i'd want to keep white ro-ses in their eyes.
a radio guy once told me that a dude who repaired FM radio transmitters told HIM: if you're fixing it in the snow and you're cold, you can stand a certain way and feel it warm you up.
apparently you really gotta be careful with the body tissues that don't have a lot of blood flow and can't dissipate heat well.
Like your eyes. Ow.
Post a Comment
<< Home