true musical confessions
This morning I had the urge to hear Motörhead. Just that sorta morning, I suppose. So I watched (listend to) some videos on YouTube, which then led me to old live Metallica videos, circa Ride the Lightning. It brought me back.
Somehow this was inspired by my drive in this morning where I heard Elvis Costello, which led me to try and tally a list of Bands and Musicians Generally Considered Great That I Don't Particularly Care For Or Dislike Outright. I suppose this is partly because music is historically-rooted and divorcing the music from this context makes it harder to appreciate. Or sometimes I just can't stand some dude's voice. Anyways,
1) Elvis Costello - I don't mind him, I just find nothing enticing about his music. It is almost completely neutral to me. I can appreciate his historical context in the pantheon of music, at least on a superficial level, but that doesn't add any emotional weight to his music.
2) Eric Clapton - yeah he's a great guitarist, whatever. frankly, I think he's lame. White man blues always left me feeling empty.
3) Death Cab for Cutie - I really tried to like Transatlanticism. And it's not bad but it never grabbed me, no matter how much I tried. If I never heard another song by them, I don't think I'd notice. On the other hand, I love the Postal Service. Figure that out.
4) Richard Wagner - meh. over-wrought.
5) Sex Pistols - is this one of those Beatles vs. Rolling Stones things? Like, if I love the Clash I must be so-so on the Pistols? Maybe not. But I love the Clash, Wire, Gang of Four...it happens.
On the other side of the cage match there are Bands and Musicians That I Like Much More Than the Norm (and most likely far beyond the intrinsic value or influence of their music). Why do I like them so? For sentimental reasons, my own historical context, and my own twisted aural preferences. A few:
1) X- I love punk and I love rockabilly. Their lovechild is X.
2) Dick Dale - Can't get enough surf guitar. Shoot me now, it's true. Ever since the Kids in the Hall theme song.
3) Neil Young - yeah he's a huge influence and a lot of people like him, but I even like his mediocre songs and I don't know why
4) Mouse on Mars - I guess they were the last electronic group that I really thought meant something. One of my favorite bands live, and I don't even know anyone else who really likes them all that much. I could be wrong. Maybe they're a secret favorite of everyone and we all just haven't had that group confession.
Somehow this was inspired by my drive in this morning where I heard Elvis Costello, which led me to try and tally a list of Bands and Musicians Generally Considered Great That I Don't Particularly Care For Or Dislike Outright. I suppose this is partly because music is historically-rooted and divorcing the music from this context makes it harder to appreciate. Or sometimes I just can't stand some dude's voice. Anyways,
1) Elvis Costello - I don't mind him, I just find nothing enticing about his music. It is almost completely neutral to me. I can appreciate his historical context in the pantheon of music, at least on a superficial level, but that doesn't add any emotional weight to his music.
2) Eric Clapton - yeah he's a great guitarist, whatever. frankly, I think he's lame. White man blues always left me feeling empty.
3) Death Cab for Cutie - I really tried to like Transatlanticism. And it's not bad but it never grabbed me, no matter how much I tried. If I never heard another song by them, I don't think I'd notice. On the other hand, I love the Postal Service. Figure that out.
4) Richard Wagner - meh. over-wrought.
5) Sex Pistols - is this one of those Beatles vs. Rolling Stones things? Like, if I love the Clash I must be so-so on the Pistols? Maybe not. But I love the Clash, Wire, Gang of Four...it happens.
On the other side of the cage match there are Bands and Musicians That I Like Much More Than the Norm (and most likely far beyond the intrinsic value or influence of their music). Why do I like them so? For sentimental reasons, my own historical context, and my own twisted aural preferences. A few:
1) X- I love punk and I love rockabilly. Their lovechild is X.
2) Dick Dale - Can't get enough surf guitar. Shoot me now, it's true. Ever since the Kids in the Hall theme song.
3) Neil Young - yeah he's a huge influence and a lot of people like him, but I even like his mediocre songs and I don't know why
4) Mouse on Mars - I guess they were the last electronic group that I really thought meant something. One of my favorite bands live, and I don't even know anyone else who really likes them all that much. I could be wrong. Maybe they're a secret favorite of everyone and we all just haven't had that group confession.



7 Comments:
I love lists, and it seems like it's been a while since I made one! You may have inspired me. Remember the first time we met for tea and made music lists for each other? I wonder what happened to those....
Take it back about the sex pistols.
damn, I hope that's not a deal-breaker.
maybe i'll make a list of deal-breakers.
dude i listen to motorhead every day. and i dunno how to type an umlaut, or spell it either.
I love Motorhead, but I also like most of the bands that you don't care for either. I really like almost everything...Except the bands I absolutely hate.
I can't say I hate any of the above, more of an indifference. Or a very subtle liking, but not near the level of their Import To The Music Listening Public.
except for Clapton. I think he's a faker.
Terroni, Alissa strongly encourages keeping a list of deal-breakers around at all times, for reference when necessary. I consider it excellent advice.
Post a Comment
<< Home