they hired me to be an innovative thinker
Last night I went out to dinner with some people from work and some guests from Japan. Two co-workers and I arrived a bit early to the chinese restaurant and found, shock and horror, they didn't serve alcohol. Dry as Hazzard county. This would not do.
We ducked out of the restaurant into the Tex-Mex place next door to grab a margarita and discuss our options. See, entertaining guests from Japan means drinking must be involved. Like cake at a wedding. We could only imagine our boss arriving, the color draining from his face when he realized the error in reserving that particular restaurant. We mulled the possibility of moving the dinner to the margarita place.
By then, another co-worker had arrived at the chinese restaurant and called us to find out where we were. And then I had a Eureka. We had him ask the waitstaff if we could bring in our own wine. They said because we were a large party, we could. I quickly drained the rest of my margarita and ran around the corner to buy three bottles of wine. Dinner was saved; no feelings were hurt. The wine was delicious.
(side note: the restaurant made us hide the bottles underneath the table, which gave the whole dinner this funny illicit feeling. People would put their glasses on the lazy susan in the middle of the table and rotate them over to me for refills.)
We ducked out of the restaurant into the Tex-Mex place next door to grab a margarita and discuss our options. See, entertaining guests from Japan means drinking must be involved. Like cake at a wedding. We could only imagine our boss arriving, the color draining from his face when he realized the error in reserving that particular restaurant. We mulled the possibility of moving the dinner to the margarita place.
By then, another co-worker had arrived at the chinese restaurant and called us to find out where we were. And then I had a Eureka. We had him ask the waitstaff if we could bring in our own wine. They said because we were a large party, we could. I quickly drained the rest of my margarita and ran around the corner to buy three bottles of wine. Dinner was saved; no feelings were hurt. The wine was delicious.
(side note: the restaurant made us hide the bottles underneath the table, which gave the whole dinner this funny illicit feeling. People would put their glasses on the lazy susan in the middle of the table and rotate them over to me for refills.)



3 Comments:
when that asteroid hits the earth, i will look you up.
i see now that you will thrive in that kind of crisis.
You're a genius. You definitely earn your pay.
T, I am all about crisis management. Unless my glasses get broken, at which point I'm royally fucked.
Churlita, they pay me in free wine. Not a bad way to go.
Post a Comment
<< Home