24.7.07

and i tried to tell you before / that's why I left california

have I told you that katie and I have 4 weddings to go to in september and early october? 6 weeks, four weddings. She has one brother; I, one sister. Both decided to get married at the same time, and both originally planned the same weekend. We put a quick stop to that nonsense. Thank goddess that alissa and evan picked their date first.

that said, I had the unfortunate displeasure to be invited to my first bachelor party today. I am proud that I've made it this far without feeling that tug of social obligation. I've dodged that bullet because many of my best male friends are gay and the others just aren't the types to have bachelor parties. So I've been spared the gender-segregated debauchery and I'm happier for it. Alas, my sister's future husband is having one. Now, I like him just fine. He's a great guy and he's good to my sister.

The organizers of said party, however....I have strong doubts. I suspect we're different in all the ways I can't stand the stereotypical man. Let's just say the e-mail invite included calling my sister's fiancee a "sucker" for getting married and also noted that they're meeting at a place called "antler's bar." I just can't imagine having to spend a weekend (a) golfing (b) with some unknown guy whose email address is "ieatdeer." yeah. that sort of crowd. men boys in the presence of no adults, degrading into some suburban lord of the flies story and trying to one-up each other with dick jokes and tales that are supposed to impress the crowd of hooting apes with their virility. so sad.

so, it is with ecstatic pleasure that I will be in san francisco the weekend of said party, attending katie's brother's wedding and walking through muir woods marveling at the giant redwoods. the social bullets fly fast and furious, but they underestimate my cat-like speed and reflexes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

For a moment I was really entertained imagining you at a "man-fest" drinking Budweiser and discussing hunting rifles.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home