15.9.06

crisis of faith and crisis in the kremlin

I am currently realizing why it's a bad idea to drink while working. katie keeps trying to convince me otherwise, and says that drinking makes her a helluva better writer. this may be true. however, this is not the case when analyzing test data. I've been sitting at home, drinking beer and listening to minimal techno and poring over this tiny laptop I use for vehicle testing. this is already bad, in that it's a friday night, but my clue that drinking is especially ill-advised is that every time I delete a bad data set I quietly say "die motherfucker!" and then utter a small mad scientist laugh. inexplicably, I also say this in a wretchedly fake british accent. think "mrs. brown you've got a love-ly doh-terr" fake.

why does one do work and drink beer at 9:30pm on a friday night? I'm leaving for a two week stint in japan on sunday . if this testing doesn't turn out right, I have to run the test again tomorrow. and if that data is shite, then I have to redo it sunday morning. my flight leaves at 2:30 sunday afternoon. I'd rather not push that deadline.

so beer it is. I will curse at my data until the night is through, calling it every fantastically foul name in the book and perhaps making up some new ones in the process. especially if it means I have to do more testing tomorrow.

actually, it occurs to me that swearing aloud at my data is something I'd probably do more often if I wasn't in an office environment (though maybe not in a british accent). perhaps I am finally releasing my inner data angst. if a computer screen gets thrown out in the street tonight, I blame the emotionally repressive work environment. definitely not the beer. definitely.

4 Comments:

Blogger scruffylooking said...

I'm all for loudly swearing at anything and everything, only not in a British accent. There was a while there where I declared a moratorium on bad British accents in my home, because my daughters were relentlessly speaking in that manner.

I'm sure it's way more charming on you, though.

5:24 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

it's true: the faux-brit accent needs to go. however, swearing with a pirate accent is perfectly okay (and encouraged).

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

drinking while working is great. especially if there is an element of danger. however, i guess don't drink and skydive.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are rules to drinking while working that I apparently did not communicate: non-technical writing improves markedly, art has potential for improvement, but never drink while doing math! It must be one of those left brain/right brain things.

And I whole heartedly share your data angst. Down with data reduction!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home