so tired, tired of waiting
I was skating past this tiny little used music equip shop in ypsi the other day when I looked in the open doorway and spied a beauty. Cradled in a guitar stand and (this is probably only in my mind's eye) glowing in a narrow shaft of sunlight was a gorgeous looking resonator guitar. I skidded on my heels and walked right in, dropped my belongings, and picked it up to try it out. Strangely heavy, but with that lovely shinyobject fascination. I plucked out a little bleugrass and it had that beautiful, clunky, banjo-like sound that I adore. Alas, I thought, this one will be well out of my price range. I look...$269! My mind was whirling with glee and possibilities.
Having been a recently-inspired haggler (thanks to Katie), I murmured to the proprieter about the price. "oh, I'll take two and a quarter for it." gripped with temptation I told him I might be back the next day and walked out with a deep nagging fear that I'd never be back. So I walked very quickly to the nearest ATM, nabbed a fistful of twenties and walked right back to the store. "Alright!" he said, "I thought I wasn't gonna have any sales today." He knew very little about it; it was a japanese-built model from the early 70s. He couldn't even find the manufacturer on the internet. "Hang onto it," he said, "these early Japanese guitars are getting collectible."
It has the perfect sound for summer. Katie and I were sitting on the dock of the huron river on monday, watching the kayakers and crew teams glide by, trying our best to figure out how to play "lola" by the kinks.
Having been a recently-inspired haggler (thanks to Katie), I murmured to the proprieter about the price. "oh, I'll take two and a quarter for it." gripped with temptation I told him I might be back the next day and walked out with a deep nagging fear that I'd never be back. So I walked very quickly to the nearest ATM, nabbed a fistful of twenties and walked right back to the store. "Alright!" he said, "I thought I wasn't gonna have any sales today." He knew very little about it; it was a japanese-built model from the early 70s. He couldn't even find the manufacturer on the internet. "Hang onto it," he said, "these early Japanese guitars are getting collectible."
It has the perfect sound for summer. Katie and I were sitting on the dock of the huron river on monday, watching the kayakers and crew teams glide by, trying our best to figure out how to play "lola" by the kinks.



3 Comments:
sounds beautiful. I think we need a photo!
forthcoming...
sweet!
Post a Comment
<< Home