30.5.06

trump card

2005 may 30 (monday)

memorial day. we talked of trees and Ireland. you made kansei engineering sound sexy. Even just speaking about traveling in Ireland, already in the back of my mind I thought you'd be a fun person to travel with. you shared your pistachio ice cream with me; very endearing. I put a vending machine sticker on my shirt and I think I wanted you to notice. we walked along the railroad tracks, the ties too long to skip one but too short to walk on each. I was trying to walk next to you to talk, but not too much to seem overeager. I wanted your number, but never found a good time to ask.

You looked really good in your blue and white shirts. I told you that I always dress up for train rides and try to wear hats. You walked next to me and we talked on the way to the ice cream place. I think I knew you liked me. I was trying extra hard to be cute and cool and show you all the good things about me. I spoke about traveling a lot. I said it was my dream to hike around Ireland and you said it was your dream to bike around Ireland, and I knew you were someone that I'd like to get to know better. You said "it was really nice meeting you" as I left. After the day was over, I thought about that and remembered the look in your eyes. You waved to me from the car as I drove away.

--------
katie and I met at a (all-vegetarian) barbecue on memorial day last year. we met through our friends molly and j, and I'm still amazed because she left for australia two weeks later and spent two months there, during which time molly and j moved to pittsburgh. they were our link to each other, yet had we not met that day we probably never would. the first paragraph above is my version, and the second is her version (in italics). we've seen each other on 183 days since then, and I know this because every one of those days is written about, to the tune of 35 pages and 30,339 words. it's a work in progress.

"and we're recording our history, right on the bedroom wall,
and when we leave the landlord will come and paint over it all."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I just got chills. You win.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. i must give credit where credit is due. excellent job, and i tip my hat to you both :)

if you need someone to put it into book form, i might be able to help...

5:49 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

a little healthy competition is good for everyone involved :)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home