which explains a lot, really
I've been busy lately. My house is a shambles, my mail is a gathering pile of tinder by my door, and I have so few groceries and clean clothes that I've resorted to wearing white athletic socks to work and eating other people's lunch leftovers as my dinner. But it's a good distraction, the best kind, in that way that my peripheral life seems much less important.
Couple that with my 2:48am average bedtime over the past ten days and last night I was falling asleep while drinking coffee in my Spanish class. It's an unfortunate byproduct of celebrating your birthday for an entire week and topping that off with late night conversations that occasionally stretch into the pale blues of dawn. Finally, last night I slept for nine hours and have recovered a bit. I washed my dishes, including the half-full teacup that actually started culturing mold (cue collective Ewww). So I also feel better-prepared to discuss the two major events diverting my time recently: my birthweek and my trip to Pittsburgh this past weekend.
As I mentioned before, certain friends disallowed me from discussing my birthday party until they sent me pictures, and I'm SOOOO happy they did!! Backstory: my birthday invitation had the caveat that no gifts were to be given unless they were homemade or found objects. For this homemade gift, Alissa took the pics and Evan made them into false Polaroids (he also did the supahfly cartoon of me that now graces my profile on this site). A quick summary of my Slows BarBQ birthday party of love:
Slows BarBQ. Come for the ribs, stay because the baked beans are so f-ing good.
worlds collided. I invited all my disparate friend-groups together for the first time. The church folks were talking with the atheists--it was great. And I got to be with dear friends that I don't see often enough anymore.
new friendship alliances were formed (I love that). I apparently missed the finger-puppet theatrical show of Em and Dale.
the Polaroid Camera of Certain Blindness was called into action once again. Flash a magnesium bulb in a darkened room and you will get a reaction.
if you're not drinking beer on your birthday, you are at liberty to drink straight from the water carafe. It's your birthday, after all.

once again, special thanks to E&A for the fab-o handmade birthday gift and for being the most nattily-dressed folks at the party (and armed with the Green Lantern Power Ring). Next up: how to start a mini-commune in Pittsburgh in ten easy steps.
Couple that with my 2:48am average bedtime over the past ten days and last night I was falling asleep while drinking coffee in my Spanish class. It's an unfortunate byproduct of celebrating your birthday for an entire week and topping that off with late night conversations that occasionally stretch into the pale blues of dawn. Finally, last night I slept for nine hours and have recovered a bit. I washed my dishes, including the half-full teacup that actually started culturing mold (cue collective Ewww). So I also feel better-prepared to discuss the two major events diverting my time recently: my birthweek and my trip to Pittsburgh this past weekend.
As I mentioned before, certain friends disallowed me from discussing my birthday party until they sent me pictures, and I'm SOOOO happy they did!! Backstory: my birthday invitation had the caveat that no gifts were to be given unless they were homemade or found objects. For this homemade gift, Alissa took the pics and Evan made them into false Polaroids (he also did the supahfly cartoon of me that now graces my profile on this site). A quick summary of my Slows BarBQ birthday party of love:
Slows BarBQ. Come for the ribs, stay because the baked beans are so f-ing good.
worlds collided. I invited all my disparate friend-groups together for the first time. The church folks were talking with the atheists--it was great. And I got to be with dear friends that I don't see often enough anymore.
new friendship alliances were formed (I love that). I apparently missed the finger-puppet theatrical show of Em and Dale.
the Polaroid Camera of Certain Blindness was called into action once again. Flash a magnesium bulb in a darkened room and you will get a reaction.
if you're not drinking beer on your birthday, you are at liberty to drink straight from the water carafe. It's your birthday, after all.
once again, special thanks to E&A for the fab-o handmade birthday gift and for being the most nattily-dressed folks at the party (and armed with the Green Lantern Power Ring). Next up: how to start a mini-commune in Pittsburgh in ten easy steps.



2 Comments:
It was absolutely our pleasure! We had a great time at your birthday, you have a great group of friends, worlds collide and new friendships are formed for all!
Thanks for having a self-promoting birthday party!
Oh, and I did let Evan know that cartoon John would definitely have to have a hat!
That is definitely one of the best parts about a birthday celebration: getting together your disparate friend-groups and letting them find out for themselves that they all have things in common.
I had a great time, John, happy birthday.
Post a Comment
<< Home