5.10.05

counterintuitive rewards program

as I count down the final seven weeks of my year without drinking, I'm going to try and post a bit more on the topic. After all, it was one of my main reasons for starting this weblog. So, upcoming topics in the next few weeks:
  • why I should start drinking again (because I probably will)
  • why I shouldn't start drinking again (I have pictures--it ain't always pretty)
  • drinking dates I have set up (it seems that everyone I know wants me to start drinking again, and is planning to celebrate my return to inebriation)
and, my post for today: the Rewards Program. In early August I had the sudden realization that I should have set up little milestone rewards along the way for each month I wasn't drinking. Why hadn't I thought of this before??? Well, not wasting any time I decided that for every month leading up to the end of my year I would buy myself a nice bottle of wine. Yes, I realize the irony of buying yourself wine when you're celebrating not drinking. Yes, I still think it's an excellent idea. By Thanksgiving, I should have a small but potent selection of wine, where ordinarily I'm a buy-it-and-drink-it sort of person.

Since then, I've decided to have a theme of red wines from various countries. To summarize the previous purchases:

July: a Chianti Classico from Italy
August: a Rioja from Spain

and September's purchase is presented below: a 2000 Bordeaux from Chateau Larose-Trintaudon in the Haut-Medoc region.


any suggestions for October's purchase? I suppose I should go for something California, but I'm up for odd suggestions, too (Greece? Hungary? Eritrea?)

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Candy. Buy candy!

1:39 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

oh sweet temptation! I had to finally kick sucrose to the curb after labor day. alas.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I've never met a Rioja I didn't like.

As for October...hmm. Pinot Noir is kinda trendy right now, so you could get one of those from California. But I say go Chilean and red - you can't lose.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hungary, bull's blood. i would recognize the label i like, but i can't think of the name. maybe just any ole one.

5:22 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

I don't know that I could drink pinot noir without thinking of Sideways... :)

I'm gonna have to check out that bull's blood, though.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how come i can't read my link anymore unless i'm a 'member?' i didn't mean to do that--i just googled bull's blood and that was the first good article that came up. hmmm. lest you think i am a member of wine online or whatever that is. i also recommend a large jug of carlo rossi, which is my real favorite. :)

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything argentinian. if you're going red, i say an australian shiraz. it's a little fruity, you pussy.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Johnny C. said...

Good Idea! So does wine not mess up your sugar? It's a litttle too much for me sometimes. I stick with beer. I should get more acquainted with wine, since I am a beer snob, they would go well together. Good luck with continuing the non-smashed life-style.

When's your alcohol probation officially over?

6:44 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

I return to the dark side on Thanksgiving day. I've only really been watching my blood sugar for the past six months or so--not really sure how it'll be affected, but I have a feeling any alcohol will jack it up somewhat. I plan to run a full battery of tests and experiments ;)

hey--that's a great idea for the post-drinking epilogue for this site: "Adventures in mixing alcohol and hypoglycemia!" I love a little self-experimentation.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hooked on Rabbit Ridge Cabernet right now... it's soooooo good. Or Stella, but I'm not sure how well she ages ;-)

7:44 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

so all I have to do to get tons of comments is mention something about alcohol. hmm...

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home