11.10.05

just for one day

someone close to me recently commented that we live in an age devoid of heroes. Which is why I'm skipping my Spanish class tonight to go see Paul Rusesabagina give a lecture at U-M and receive the Wallenberg medal. Rusesabagina's experiences saving lives during the Rwandan genocide in 1994 were documented in the film Hotel Rwanda. From the Wallenberg Foundation website:

In the face of this genocide, one man made a promise to protect the family he loved and in the course of doing his job found the courage to save over 1,200 people. Paul Rusesabagina used his influence and connections as temporary manager of the Hotel des Mille Collines to shelter over 1,200 Tutsis and moderate Hutus from being murdered by the Interahamwe militia. Who is this extraordinary man? “I don't consider myself a hero. I consider myself as a normal person who did what he had to do, who has done his job.”

If you're in Ann Arbor tonight you should go. 7:30pm, Power Center. Change begins with education, rememberance, and public outcry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're going to hear him speak! You'll have to fill me in on it. Thanks for the heads up, I'm sad I can't make it.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home