30-second record review
alright, a coworker let me borrow his copy of the White Stripes latest, Get Behind Me Satan.* I'd heard "Blue Orchid" on the radio, and found Jack White's falsetto singing to be intriguing, but the song didn't really catch me. As I listen to the whole album, now I know why. The songs feel half-baked; little song snippets that don't go anywhere, but still get stretched to be three or four minutes long. For that matter, a lot of the hooks, rhythms, etc. seem lifted completely from other White Stripes songs; instead of fresh, they sound tired. There is also a lack of interesting melody throughout the album--nothing to really catch you. Also, the simple piano plunking, which worked amazingly and hauntingly on "This Protector" (off White Blood Cells) sounds overused and childish on this album (as in "My Doorbell" and "The Denial Twist"). We all know Jack can play guitar, but his piano skills are at the power chord level. Lastly, the lyrics leave me flat--few clever lines and a lot of unfortunate rhymes (especially in "White Moon"). The only song that really stands out for me is "Take, Take, Take." Interesting structure and rhythms, decent melody, an amusing story in the lyrics. But the best part of the song is how Jack has a sort of early-Bowie sound in his voice. I like it. There are other songs I like, such as "As Ugly as I Seem," and "Little Ghost" is a decent little ditty. overall, it's not a bad album, just unexciting. let's just say I'm glad I borrowed it before buying.
oh--and Meg shouldn't sing. no argument. she'd do well to keep her voice in the shower and in the car/tour bus.
*an odd biblical reference, if I've ever heard one (Matthew 4:10). I wonder how many parents will disallow this album from their kids simply because "Satan" is in the title? I know my own mother would have. Imagine her wailing and gnashing of teeth when she found my Porno for Pyros album back in high school...[incidentally, I'm a little creeped out to see what kind of google hits will be caused by that last sentence].
oh--and Meg shouldn't sing. no argument. she'd do well to keep her voice in the shower and in the car/tour bus.
*an odd biblical reference, if I've ever heard one (Matthew 4:10). I wonder how many parents will disallow this album from their kids simply because "Satan" is in the title? I know my own mother would have. Imagine her wailing and gnashing of teeth when she found my Porno for Pyros album back in high school...[incidentally, I'm a little creeped out to see what kind of google hits will be caused by that last sentence].



1 Comments:
Oh man, PFP was the GREATEST. I, too, had to remove the discs from their original cases and stash 'em between my "dummy" copies of Amy Grant and The Fat Boys.
Post a Comment
<< Home