truth in lending
I was rejoicing about my new mortgage to Brian over email, when he posed the question, "why the 'T' in mortgage?" to which I jokingly replied, "Well, mort is the French word for death; that's fitting, don't you think?"
well, I checked the word origin on-line, and I'll be damned. James, you were right--property rights are not the boon we believe them to be!
Main Entry: 1mortĀ·gage
Pronunciation: 'mor-gij
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English morgage, from Middle French, from Old French, from mort dead (from Latin mortuus) + gage gage
well, I checked the word origin on-line, and I'll be damned. James, you were right--property rights are not the boon we believe them to be!
Main Entry: 1mortĀ·gage
Pronunciation: 'mor-gij
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English morgage, from Middle French, from Old French, from mort dead (from Latin mortuus) + gage gage



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home