backannouncement
anyone else enjoy eating little gobs of wasabi? If you eat a big enough chunk, not only do you get the eyeswateringopensinus effect, but the top of your scalp tingles. sooooo delicious.
[yes, I used to touch my tongue to the poles of a 9-volt battery when I was a kid]
today is another oppressively hot, humid day--the kind of day where you just pray it will thunderstorm and get it over with. You know it WANTS to thunderstorm, but instead the air remains all pent up and stuffy. I finally turned on the a/c and am staying inside to finish painting my spare bedroom/office/room-with-no-purpose. we had an outdoor service at church this morning, and I knew it was going to be a hot one when it was only 9:30 and I was sweating ALREADY. the service was great, in spite of the heat. I played guitar with my friend Aaron, and actually managed to muck it up less than usual. and being outside meant we could crank up the amps a little more, which is always fun.
yesterday was one of times when you spend the whole day outdoors (in the brutal heat and humidity), so you are completely whipped by 9pm. My friend Bryan was having a graduation party in roosevelt park in front of the old train station, so I headed down to detroit in the early afternoon for a little whiffle ball and some bbq. our friend Phil is opening a bbq restaurant near downtown (just down the road a piece from the old Tiger's stadium), so he and the chef christened their new smoker by making slabs and slabs of ribs. beef ribs, pork ribs, rib tips, dry ribs, wet ribs, too many to count. And they had about seven different sauces to try with the ribs. amazing food. unfortunately, there was little else to eat with the ribs, and I quickly found that a bellyfull of ribs does not bode well for digestion. so it goes.
the whiffle ball was amazing fun, though we were drenched with sweat after only a few minutes. we kept getting curious looks from passers by because this park is usually only inhabited by transients and winos. there was something bizarre and post-apocalyptic, yet strangely poetic, about eating barbecue and playing whiffle ball in front of the old abandoned train station (see pics here and here).
the Kraftwerk concert on friday was AMAZING. middle-aged german men playing with laptops and synthesizers accompanied by a large triptych screen behind them that was synchronized to the music. SO good. click here and here for pics I took at the show (one of which shows their robot stand-ins for the song "we are the robots"). I went with J, and it was great to see him because he's heading off in a few weeks to be a prof at Carnegie Mellon. props to him. after the show there was a van parked outside where they were giving away free Vitamin Water. It was SO tasty after a long concert we realized what a bloody good marketing strategy that was. scene: me on a road trip, perusing the cold drinks cooler at some random gas station, thinking "hey--vitamin water. that stuff was awfully good at slaking my thirst after that kraftwerk show." damn them.
[yes, I used to touch my tongue to the poles of a 9-volt battery when I was a kid]
today is another oppressively hot, humid day--the kind of day where you just pray it will thunderstorm and get it over with. You know it WANTS to thunderstorm, but instead the air remains all pent up and stuffy. I finally turned on the a/c and am staying inside to finish painting my spare bedroom/office/room-with-no-purpose. we had an outdoor service at church this morning, and I knew it was going to be a hot one when it was only 9:30 and I was sweating ALREADY. the service was great, in spite of the heat. I played guitar with my friend Aaron, and actually managed to muck it up less than usual. and being outside meant we could crank up the amps a little more, which is always fun.
yesterday was one of times when you spend the whole day outdoors (in the brutal heat and humidity), so you are completely whipped by 9pm. My friend Bryan was having a graduation party in roosevelt park in front of the old train station, so I headed down to detroit in the early afternoon for a little whiffle ball and some bbq. our friend Phil is opening a bbq restaurant near downtown (just down the road a piece from the old Tiger's stadium), so he and the chef christened their new smoker by making slabs and slabs of ribs. beef ribs, pork ribs, rib tips, dry ribs, wet ribs, too many to count. And they had about seven different sauces to try with the ribs. amazing food. unfortunately, there was little else to eat with the ribs, and I quickly found that a bellyfull of ribs does not bode well for digestion. so it goes.
the whiffle ball was amazing fun, though we were drenched with sweat after only a few minutes. we kept getting curious looks from passers by because this park is usually only inhabited by transients and winos. there was something bizarre and post-apocalyptic, yet strangely poetic, about eating barbecue and playing whiffle ball in front of the old abandoned train station (see pics here and here).
the Kraftwerk concert on friday was AMAZING. middle-aged german men playing with laptops and synthesizers accompanied by a large triptych screen behind them that was synchronized to the music. SO good. click here and here for pics I took at the show (one of which shows their robot stand-ins for the song "we are the robots"). I went with J, and it was great to see him because he's heading off in a few weeks to be a prof at Carnegie Mellon. props to him. after the show there was a van parked outside where they were giving away free Vitamin Water. It was SO tasty after a long concert we realized what a bloody good marketing strategy that was. scene: me on a road trip, perusing the cold drinks cooler at some random gas station, thinking "hey--vitamin water. that stuff was awfully good at slaking my thirst after that kraftwerk show." damn them.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home