economics 101
let's say I want to take a trip to Chicago to visit my dear friends Mike and Noah [the Museum of Science and Industry has this crazy exhibit right now with dissected human bodies playing soccer, playing chess, etc.] If I decide to drive there, it is approximately 500 miles round trip. My Ford Focus trundles along at the rate of 32 miles per gallon, which means it would take 15.6 gallons of gas to get to and from Chicago. At the price of $2.05 per gallon, that's just a whisker over $32 it would cost me to drive there. minimum.
Now, let's say I want to take the train to Chicago. Amtrak is so hard up for passengers (sad) that I can get a 1-way ticket from Ann Arbor to Chicago for $17.10, and likewise for the return trip. Total cost: $34.20.
considering the headaches of driving, the wear on the vehicle, the annoyance of having a car in Chicago, and how much reading I can do on the train, which would you choose? Plus, with all the funding cuts that just hit Amtrak, this may be one of the last opportunities I have to take the train to Chicago.
"All I want are my water and my coal /
look out the window, see my drive wheel roll"
Mississippi John Hurt - "Casey Jones"
Now, let's say I want to take the train to Chicago. Amtrak is so hard up for passengers (sad) that I can get a 1-way ticket from Ann Arbor to Chicago for $17.10, and likewise for the return trip. Total cost: $34.20.
considering the headaches of driving, the wear on the vehicle, the annoyance of having a car in Chicago, and how much reading I can do on the train, which would you choose? Plus, with all the funding cuts that just hit Amtrak, this may be one of the last opportunities I have to take the train to Chicago.
"All I want are my water and my coal /
look out the window, see my drive wheel roll"
Mississippi John Hurt - "Casey Jones"



3 Comments:
I'd take the train, but I'd also prepare myself for Amtrak's ontime percentage (frigid).
aye, so I've heard. considering my main experience with trains is in Japan (where you can set your watch to them) this could get interesting. luckily, I have no real schedule--the trip is pretty laissez-faire.
well, i hope this is another exhibit.
Post a Comment
<< Home