11.12.25

Art is (not) when I get up in the morning

 Fosh and I are working on a new performance, our first public one in many years. It started out as a funny and silly idea, as they all do, of what if she played my leg like a piano and I sang all the notes. (I think this came about by me sitting on the couch sideways with my legs over her.) The idea stews for a while and when Glitterbox requested entries for their holiday variety show we both thought, "of COURSE." Absurd, low-tech, queerdo? Sign us up!

So we started writing our little act. Did some research by watching Looney Tunes piano skits (the original inspiration). Turns out there were fewer than we remembered! But so seminal, apparently. We invited our friend C to join as a third party as the Maestro's sub "helper" -- a sorta sexy Igor role. And the first rehearsals were going....not well. It no longer felt like a good idea! Is this terrible? Is it boring and un-funny and should we just pull out?

Then we had another dress rehearsal, with props better in place, and now that we had a sketch of the act we could fine-tune it. After three hours (and a little champagne) it was MUCH better! It might even be funny to people who aren't even us?

It was a good reminder that art isn't always fun, even when it's a hobby. And that pushing through is often necessary before something is any good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home