the time to rise has been engaged
My body's clever new schedule: sleep for 4-6 hours per night, every night, day after day, for weeks. I didn't plan this. Getting up at 5am is rarely a treat, and getting up at 8am is tricky when you've gone to bed at 3. But my body jolts awake in a rush of adrenaline and I am all but forced out of bed.
It's deliciously exhilarating, albeit disconcerting, and I fill my days with friends and fun, cycling, and, occasionally, research. It does mean that some days I pass out around noon for an hour or so.
Strangeways, here we come.
One thing I've realized is that K and I haven't spent more than a week or ten days apart since we started dating, near five years ago. That's a lot of together time, which I generally prefer, but I've noticed that I have a looong backlog of processing to do. Little things, deep things, subtle life choices and moral compass re-tuning. I spent one long morning bike ride and went over the gamut: life, death, family, friends, career. It's been good. I think.
Yet I'm still not sleeping well. But I don't feel anxious. So I guess I'll just roll with the extra 2-3 hours of wakefulness per day and make the most of these waning long days of summer.
It's deliciously exhilarating, albeit disconcerting, and I fill my days with friends and fun, cycling, and, occasionally, research. It does mean that some days I pass out around noon for an hour or so.
Strangeways, here we come.
One thing I've realized is that K and I haven't spent more than a week or ten days apart since we started dating, near five years ago. That's a lot of together time, which I generally prefer, but I've noticed that I have a looong backlog of processing to do. Little things, deep things, subtle life choices and moral compass re-tuning. I spent one long morning bike ride and went over the gamut: life, death, family, friends, career. It's been good. I think.
Yet I'm still not sleeping well. But I don't feel anxious. So I guess I'll just roll with the extra 2-3 hours of wakefulness per day and make the most of these waning long days of summer.



2 Comments:
I'm lucky if I get 6 hours in a night. I just can't fall asleep...Especially, if I know I have to get up early. I just try to wear myself out every day. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.
I almost never have trouble falling asleep, it's the staying asleep. Waking up at 4am, 5am, 6am...
I'm starting to blame it on the oppressive heat and bright sun of early morning. My apt, as much as I like it, is not a dark, cool womb of sleep.
Post a Comment
<< Home