8.7.10

you will be overcome by sound

I was put in a state today contemplating how we (industrialized society) value output and productivity so much more than relationships. Why can't we be judged on how we care for others and they care for us? Oh sure, it gets lip service and on a one-on-one level that's what people care about, but it's not considered okay to spend a lot of time on it. It's considered okay to spend 12 hours a day making widgets or developing the newest technological advance, but not to make people mix tapes or sit and have coffee with them and discuss life. That's Idleness. That's Wasteful.

Motherfuckers, if we still needed each other to survive (we do; you just think you're independent) then by goddess we'd value those relationships more. I wonder if it was that way in more "primitive" cultures, where people did depend on each other more. If you knew lots of people, you had a better chance of living through the famine or whatever.

anyways, in a state. not sure which state. somewhere between. not bad, not awesome, very emotional. drinking coffee. wondering if it'll help or make me agitated.

but here comes my favorite song of the past few weeks!

"Shelia..........
Shelia.......
We will grow old....
And when we die we'll bury ourselves...
'Cause no one wants to die alone.....
We'll die alone together."


I fucking love it. That sums up everything I was just talking about. Thank you again, music. Sorry, NPR, you wouldn't have been there for me on this one. You know a lot about a lot but very little about the human heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-dub said...

I'm pretty sure this falls into the category of what my friend Tiffany calls the "white middle-class blues."

we bitch about things because we have nothing serious to bitch about. But it feels real.

side note: since K's been gone I've been swearing like an irish sailor on a bender.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home