dear oxford university press
Editors,
I am in the midst of reading the Very Short Introduction on Anarchism. Overall, I am finding it informative and useful, though I would like to point out a factual error in the book.
On page 38, when discussing the Christian Coalition in the United States the text reads, "[The Christian Coalition] denies any responsibility for the murder of the last doctor to perform an abortion in the American South."
That the tragic murder occurred is true, but there are, in fact, still many hundreds if not thousands of doctors in the South who perform abortions. The American South needs no help in looking more backwards than it often does, as the political landscape there is often antagonistic to women's reproductive rights. However, I believe that chiding is enough and that perpetuating overtly incorrect facts will not help matters.
Not wanting to disparage the name of Mr. Colin Ward, may he rest in peace, I expect this was simply a mis-worded sentence and will chalk this up to an editorial oversight, but do hope you will correct it in future versions.
cheers.
J.W.
I am in the midst of reading the Very Short Introduction on Anarchism. Overall, I am finding it informative and useful, though I would like to point out a factual error in the book.
On page 38, when discussing the Christian Coalition in the United States the text reads, "[The Christian Coalition] denies any responsibility for the murder of the last doctor to perform an abortion in the American South."
That the tragic murder occurred is true, but there are, in fact, still many hundreds if not thousands of doctors in the South who perform abortions. The American South needs no help in looking more backwards than it often does, as the political landscape there is often antagonistic to women's reproductive rights. However, I believe that chiding is enough and that perpetuating overtly incorrect facts will not help matters.
Not wanting to disparage the name of Mr. Colin Ward, may he rest in peace, I expect this was simply a mis-worded sentence and will chalk this up to an editorial oversight, but do hope you will correct it in future versions.
cheers.
J.W.



4 Comments:
sorry, commenter. not really looking to debate semantics, abortion rights, etc., as that wasn't the point. there are plenty of venues for those sorts of debates; this isn't one of them.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm kinda sad you removed your comment. I had this whole post in my head about what "semantics" means to me. The irony being that it was a post discussing the semantics of the word "semantics."
so it goes.
if it's a very short introduction, maybe they spend a very short time fact checking?
Post a Comment
<< Home