do you want new wave or do you want the truth?
in honor of a near year since posting, I thought it'd be good to post (for myself) what hath goddess wrought in the past year:
- K finished grad school. She now has, as they call it, a "terminal" degree, which sounds more like a disease than an accomplishment.
- I did not finish grad school. I am skidding, kicking and screaming, towards the finish, clawing for every last shred of motivation. I am constantly in fear that my academic inertia will not carry me over the line, like some little league baseball player who slides too early and ends up a few feet short of home plate.
- I read ten novels unrelated to my research. Half of them were sci-fi (I was on a bit of a bender).
- I "wrote", directed, and filmed an abridged version of west side story.
- I wrote a song that got put in a friend's movie. I'm pretty excited to see it.
- Based on my extra-curricular activities, I am alarmed at the fear listed in bullet #2 coming true.
- We moved to DC about ten days ago. It is the largest city either of us has ever lived in, by far. I was a little alarmed when we drove over the mason-dixon line. I occasionally feel like a country mouse in the city. I wonder if it's improper to shake out my rugs on the balcony. My new goal is to be like a monk of research, stashed away in my backroom, hunched over my computer. Given the excitement of being in a new city, we'll all agree to call this a stretch goal.
See you in a year? I'll let you know how it goes.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home