mother earth will swallow you
let's recap how we've been doing since K left on saturday. I spent the weekend cycling and running and seeing friends--all was right with the world. Monday I left for El Paso to go to a conference on renewable energy use in the military, so that's kept me busy. Today I'm spending an entire day in hotels and airports and getting home at 11pm. To an empty apartment. Silent and devoid of life (well, save for the plants but they're silent at least). You could say I'm un-thrilled about going home.
In fact, this may explain the edgy, irritable mood I've enveloped myself with all day long, starting bright and early this morning with my hotel-neighbor's dog yapping and yapping though the thin Microtel walls. So I got up and went for a run in the already oppressive El Paso heat. I've never run in a desert city before--the air sucks all the moisture out of you as you breathe and you feel like you have water up your nose.
I got back and read the news today, oh boy. The good news is that they convicted a bunch of evil persons for the Srebrenica genocide back during the Balkan debacle of the late '90s. But it got me thinking about how the more we change, the more we stay the same. It probably doesn't help that I've been reading a historical account of the Warsaw ghetto during WW2. So I get crabbier and regress into my high school self, putting headphones on and listening to hopelessly dour music (as much as I tried not to). Then I lapse into nihilism and question whether we should all just succumb to our bacterial overlords (they will get us all in the end).
But! then I talk to a friendly voice (K) and, in spite of three dropped calls, I'm amazed at how well and how cheaply we can stay in contact from halfway across the continent. She gave me many verbal hugs and I got to look out the window at the airport and watch the little baggage carts doing their zig-zag caterpillar crawl across the tarmac. And though my apartment is empty and I have no food there, at least I have a bed and a home to go back to.
all that said, I would pay a dear price to have a beer date with Bri right now as I'm whiling away the hours until I can fly out of O'Hare. Here's hoping you're in a happy place with huggable people nearby, or at least within calling-and-beer-date distance.
In fact, this may explain the edgy, irritable mood I've enveloped myself with all day long, starting bright and early this morning with my hotel-neighbor's dog yapping and yapping though the thin Microtel walls. So I got up and went for a run in the already oppressive El Paso heat. I've never run in a desert city before--the air sucks all the moisture out of you as you breathe and you feel like you have water up your nose.
I got back and read the news today, oh boy. The good news is that they convicted a bunch of evil persons for the Srebrenica genocide back during the Balkan debacle of the late '90s. But it got me thinking about how the more we change, the more we stay the same. It probably doesn't help that I've been reading a historical account of the Warsaw ghetto during WW2. So I get crabbier and regress into my high school self, putting headphones on and listening to hopelessly dour music (as much as I tried not to). Then I lapse into nihilism and question whether we should all just succumb to our bacterial overlords (they will get us all in the end).
But! then I talk to a friendly voice (K) and, in spite of three dropped calls, I'm amazed at how well and how cheaply we can stay in contact from halfway across the continent. She gave me many verbal hugs and I got to look out the window at the airport and watch the little baggage carts doing their zig-zag caterpillar crawl across the tarmac. And though my apartment is empty and I have no food there, at least I have a bed and a home to go back to.
all that said, I would pay a dear price to have a beer date with Bri right now as I'm whiling away the hours until I can fly out of O'Hare. Here's hoping you're in a happy place with huggable people nearby, or at least within calling-and-beer-date distance.



3 Comments:
it's true with as much pain and sadness there is in the world, there's also that much beauty and wonder.
Interesting. I've read some recent Serbian and Serbian-related blogs, and there are many attitudes that have not changed. Like the Srbenica massacre did not occur, and if it did, they deserved it. And Kosovo is an eternal colony of Serbia, no matter what the people in Kosovo think.
jesus. Sad, sad, sad.
Post a Comment
<< Home