22.2.10
Previous Posts
- pink is the new red
- new music project
- concerning the aforementioned
- sunday brunch (epilogue)
- speeding along
- arkham
- have a holly jolly
- cuando llegare
- time frames / relativity
- in which our hero is alarmed
View
[Im]perfect Articles - mike & noah make a walking artgallery in chi-town. I own six of their shirts at last count.
Read
and the sadly somewhat defunct:







4 Comments:
Wow. Homemade bread and reading The Road? It sounds like an amazing Sunday. I want one of those.
Could you be persuaded to share the recipe?
oh absolutely share. It's one of my favorites because it's really easy.
No-knead bread
It does take a day of rising, so the biggest annoyance is pre-planning. But it only uses flour and a tiny bit of yeast, which saves $. This is the closest bread I've made to super yummy bakery bread--chewy inside and crackly outside.
The long rise is the key for the chewiness and the big baking pot and high temperatures are the keys for the crackliness. I don't have a heavy pot, just this junky thin thing previously used for camping (but it works).
Don't freak out like I did when it comes out of the oven seemingly rock hard. Once it cools it will have a nice hard crust. Don't like hard crust? Wait longer before you uncover the pot.
Also, I don't mess around with the cotton towels for the second rise, I just use a cookie sheet underneath and cover it loosely with the same plastic wrap I used when it was rising. I guess I just don't have lots of cotton towels to be covering with flour and then washing with my clothes. Mmm....doughy socks.
And I've had good success adding a little of this and that (herbs, sesame seeds, etc.). Enjoy!
also--if you're a food science nerd like me, read the associated article. Fascinating!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html
How do bakeries get those badass loaves of bread? Steam-injected m-f ovens. Crazy.
Post a Comment
<< Home