15.3.08

goes well with frites


Katie doesn't generally like beer because she has a strong dislike for imbibing anything bitter. Fortunately, there are some delicious belgian beers that have little or no hops. I consider it my solemn duty to find all belgian beers that are Katie-approved.

beer tasting notes.

'T Smisje Dubbel, Brugge, 9% ABV

J: Reddish-brown, tangy. Mild bitterness and a fruity citrus finish. Drier, thinner than some. Hoppy on the nose. (extra points for and against due to impossible-to-pronounce name)
K: (can't drink much)

Kasteel Brune, Ingelmunster, 11%

J: Thick, ruby brown. Almost no head. Rich and sweet, like brown sugar and over-ripe apricots. Almost too sweet to drink. A bit alcoholey.
K: [thumbs up]

Golden Draak Ale, Ertvelde, 10.5%

J: Rich, smooth and creamy, but no sweetness. Biting tart fruit after -- like tart cherries. Turns bitter in the end; not hoppy, just bitter.
K: It's not bitter; it's sour. (20 minutes later: "do you want to finish this, or shall I pitch it?" I drink it.)

Kwak, Buggenhout, 8%

J: Oh shit that's good. Orange and caramel smells, lightly sweet but well-balanced. This has a mild bitter aftertaste that I don't remember in belgium, but all beer is better in belgium.
K: It's fan-fucking-tastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home