projects, tenements, pyramids
This is a map of where I grew up.
Thanks to spy satellite technology, I can now trace my bike ride to school from half a world away.
It was a strange feeling discovering this: I felt old memories, frozen in time, melting and revealing themselves to me. I remembered the field behind my friend Jay's house where we would play war. I remembered the sand "park" in front of Daryl's house where we would throw our action figures high into the air and then try to find them again.
The beach looks smaller than I remember. Narrower. The oil refinery is closer than seems safe.
When I was living there a truck ignited some leaking fumes that caused an explosion. Four workers died. I heard a rumor that the winds were blowing out to sea that day, but had they been blowing inland the town would have been incinerated. But maybe that's one of those rumors picked up and twisted by kids hearing their parents tell stories to each other.
where I'm from - digable planets
Thanks to spy satellite technology, I can now trace my bike ride to school from half a world away.
It was a strange feeling discovering this: I felt old memories, frozen in time, melting and revealing themselves to me. I remembered the field behind my friend Jay's house where we would play war. I remembered the sand "park" in front of Daryl's house where we would throw our action figures high into the air and then try to find them again.
The beach looks smaller than I remember. Narrower. The oil refinery is closer than seems safe.
When I was living there a truck ignited some leaking fumes that caused an explosion. Four workers died. I heard a rumor that the winds were blowing out to sea that day, but had they been blowing inland the town would have been incinerated. But maybe that's one of those rumors picked up and twisted by kids hearing their parents tell stories to each other.
where I'm from - digable planets



2 Comments:
Isn't technology a trip?
my step-dad was waaaay impressed when I showed him. He immediately had to find the house he lived in when he was stationed in Panama.
When I look at the picture of my office I can pick out co-workers' cars by the color and where they tend to park.
Post a Comment
<< Home