18.1.06

what about the night makes you change

sometimes you just want to hear some really trashy, dirty guitar. sometimes all you really want is to hear "wild thing" by the the troggs but you don't have it on your computer.

so you plug some songs you do have:

"10am automatic" - the black keys
"a song of love" - the gerbils
"broken face" - the pixies
"buses / no buses" - bear vs. shark
"2nd Ave, 11am" - ted leo & the pharmacists

but quickly run out of really trashy guitar options. so I decided to try out pandora.com**. have you seen this? it was recommended by a few people to me. apparently, they take suggestions of what you like and try to play similar songs. you can rate what they play as to whether you like it or not, then they'll try to find new songs. so, when plugging in the troggs to pandora.com I get:

"with a girl like you" - the troggs
"tried to hide" - the thirteenth floor elevators
"sixty second interval" - the vapors

but with that last one it was getting a little too clean. still british, still poppy and highly rhythmic but I needed more crunch. so I added the black keys to their search. they came up with "the lengths" by the black keys, which was slow and melodic. not at all what I wanted. I gave that track a thumbs down and they immediately played "I can't control myself" by the troggs. apparently, that's what I really wanted to hear. and when I ask them why they're playing what they're playing, they reply:

"Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features electric rock instrumentation, mild rhythmic syncopation, extensive vamping, mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, and a vocal-centric aesthetic."

lame. all I wanted was fat, crunchy guitar. so I plug in "wild thing" specifically and they come up with a list of various artists from x to ton loc. I pick out the troggs version. satisfaction is mine. two steps later they come up with "jet airliner" by the steve miller band. whaaaa???? uh-uh. no way. I give it the thumbs down, and then? "10am automatic" by the black keys. ha. apparently, only I know what I really want to hear.

**I have a side interest in this site because it is involved in the music genome project, which has to do with identifying traits of music and people's preferences. if I were to do ph.d. work, this is what I'd study.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a nerd :)

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. now i'm completely fascinated with what my musical taste would reveal about me. and possibly my genome...

7:52 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Pandora's pretty sweet because it lets you listen to full length songs by the artists you put in, but I thought its correlation qualities were mostly shit until I put in Lyle Lovett. Now I really love it.

I'm so ashamed, but it's a true story.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home