I swear to moses, the dice weren't loaded
in the Last Temptation of John category, I almost bailed on my year of sobriety this weekend, two weeks shy of my anniversary drink in NYC. Was celebrating the birthday of someone very near and dear to me by heading out to ann arbor's art deco faux-french cafe, Cafe Felix, where the cocktails are fine and the pastries are finer. So so SO wanted a martini. I mean, hey--two weeks to go; I'd say fifty weeks is a pretty good run, no? What's one night of revelry to celebrate a birthday? "Just one," I told myself. [Then again, at this point I think one is all it'll take. I suspect my tolerance is lower than GWB's approval rating right now.] But, when my weakness was at its nadir, when I could almost smell the juniper-essence of the bombay sapphire gin, the birthdayer herself came to my rescue. "You can't give up now! Otherwise, you can never say you went a whole year." True that; had a wildberry crepe and a cappucino instead.
On the whole, it was a wise decision. One brief lapse to muck up fifty weeks of fortitude. And that, I suppose, gives me one last glimpse of how hard it is to actually have to give up a true addiction. So, caffeine and sugar-fueled, we move on to Oz and danced until the DJ shut down. sadly, we missed out on the hookah. next time.
with that, which is probably my last tale of fording the perilous waters of sobriety, I present Reasons To Not Starting Drinking Again #4**:
Because Substituting Red Bull for Alcohol Makes Me Act Even Worse

this is from last New Year's at the semi-renovated space that is now Slows BarBQ. I hit the redbull and club soda pretty hard that night and the DJ was playing some killer soul, funk, and old r&b. Danced until 4am with another man's wife, who is the radiant beauty caressing my face in the above photo.
(okay, okay that sounds waaaay worse than it was. she's a dear old friend and he took this picture, so it wasn't as if there was true debauchery afoot.)
Reason #3
Reason #2
Reason #1
----------------
**EDIT: as Brian so handily pointed out to me, I meant this to be a Reason to Start Drinking Again.
On the whole, it was a wise decision. One brief lapse to muck up fifty weeks of fortitude. And that, I suppose, gives me one last glimpse of how hard it is to actually have to give up a true addiction. So, caffeine and sugar-fueled, we move on to Oz and danced until the DJ shut down. sadly, we missed out on the hookah. next time.
with that, which is probably my last tale of fording the perilous waters of sobriety, I present Reasons To Not Starting Drinking Again #4**:
Because Substituting Red Bull for Alcohol Makes Me Act Even Worse

this is from last New Year's at the semi-renovated space that is now Slows BarBQ. I hit the redbull and club soda pretty hard that night and the DJ was playing some killer soul, funk, and old r&b. Danced until 4am with another man's wife, who is the radiant beauty caressing my face in the above photo.
(okay, okay that sounds waaaay worse than it was. she's a dear old friend and he took this picture, so it wasn't as if there was true debauchery afoot.)
Reason #3
Reason #2
Reason #1
----------------
**EDIT: as Brian so handily pointed out to me, I meant this to be a Reason to Start Drinking Again.



6 Comments:
it seems that the picture posted is reason to stop not drinking. juniper is way better than red bull.
yo.
oh shite--that's what I meant. reason to start drinking again, if you will.
must stop replacing sleep with caffeine. oh well--I'll leave it 'cause it's a funny screw up.
I found this site via jeff's site..and saw a picture and thought, hey I know that guy! So I thought I'd say hi!
whoa, crazy--what's up becky?
Not too much..married and live in Tennessee..high school biology teacher. You?
actually, if you want you can nab my email address by clicking on "view my complete profile" in the upper right corner of the page.
Post a Comment
<< Home