31.10.05

phase one, in which doris gets her oats

some days you just wish you could be home playing guitar and drinking a pot of tea. not that work is going so horribly, just that you're meant to be elsewhere. I think I've spent equal amounts of time today building acoustic simulation models and putting together mix cd playlists for an upcoming roadtrip to houghton for thanksgiving. for that, I give you random detritus from work today:

overheard: "[michigan] tech was the only university in the nation that was having rallies for the vietnam war."

apparently we're having our christmas party on the 18th. of november. at which time I'll be in NYC. No, I'm not changing my plans. No, your excuse for why the party is so early is not good enough.

as good as I've been about avoiding the perils and temptation of ice cream and other delectable sweets, I have been waylaid recently by this jar full of blow pops at work. f-ing blow pops. they're about the lowest form of candy, just above the false chocolate promises of tootsie rolls. it's like a priest giving up years of celibacy for a cheap hooker.

it is near impossible to have a work-related discussion with someone who has a blue handprint on his shaved forehead and claims he is a member of the army of the blue wizard. happy halloween, y'all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have so many things to say regarding the michigan tech/viet nam war part that i don't know where to begin. i'm just baffled on so many levels.

and seriously, work isn't bad, but who wants to be here?

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Blow Pops are SO not worth it! Incidentally, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if that rumor is true, but it definitely gives a false impression.

We're really not all that bad in Houghton, just a strange mix of super-conservative hicks with the ever-loveable hippies and punks.

Give us a chance. It's definitely worth the long car ride to see the leaves in the fall and visit the monks on Lake Superior who bake hermit cookies, or have brunch in the tea room while wearing one of the many oldfangled hats they have hanging on the walls.

12:12 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

I think the tea room should serve the monk's hermit cookies...mmm.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home