26.9.05

you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack

I have a huge stack of papers on top of my filing cabinet at home that need to be sorted, tidied up, and filed away. right now, that's a pretty good metaphor for my life. you know you're getting a bit too busy when you can't figure out when you'll have time to buy groceries in the forseeable future (well, unless you go to the 24-hour joint, which is not the preferred option). When I get like this I'm usually doing lots of great things I enjoy and the less important (or less immediate) things like filing and groceries get pushed to the outer limits. This is often done at the expense of that down-time where I reorganize, reprioritize, figure out what the hell I'm doing, and mentally file things away. It is a bit disconcerting to have too many experiences and not process them fully in my brain. Three weeks of this sort can quickly pass by and I suddenly realize that I haven't talked to most of my friends and family for quite some time and I somehow wandered onto a freighter bound for Borneo.

so, for lack of time to get anything done that actually needs doing, instead I will hone my anxiety to a fine point by making a list of things I need to do that I probably won't do anytime soon (phew...how many conjugations of "to do" were in that sentence?):

- listen to those Spanish lesson CDs
- make gallons of pesto before all the basil dies
- teach the dust bunnies on my stairs how to clean up after themselves
- buy birthday presents for about six people in October (okay, I'd better get on this one).
- figure out what the hell I'm doing for my own birthday (also in October)
- visit my grandmother in Columbus (this should be high on the list, but I honestly don't know when it'll happen)
- learn how to use my new mixer so I can transfer the song I recorded for Dave into digital format.
- put away my clean laundry instead of just fishing socks out of the basket as I need them.
- get a new hot water heater before the old one decides to do its impression of Niagara Falls.
- get a bottle of wine for my 2-months-to-go present.
- write a post about the above (because no one knows what the hell I'm talking about, except for maybe 2 people).
- finish my table (only one more coat to go...)
- watch those netflix movies that are smoldering on my television.
- make a mix CD.
- call my mother.
- buy groceries.

I should probably hold off on starting those guitar lessons anytime soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home