Why I Love My Friends (and why they're cooler than me), part 2
this is my second installment in this series, and I’ve decided to go with the theme of Ann Arbor friends, partly because I’m hoping to see them this weekend. Sadly, they are all exiting Ann Arbor by the end of the year, which means I’ll have no more reasons to visit Ann Arbor (other than the Arbor Brewing Company and the occasional Michigan Hockey game). Other than all of us doing time at U of M, we are originally connected by being involved in Weave, a wacked-out multi-disciplinary improvisation group doing Soundpainting that terrorized the Ann Arbor community for a few years.
J is a modern day renaissance man. Hyper smart, a killer designer, ambitiously takes on new projects, and also a fashionista (and in his own excellent style). Writes and records music in his spare time (or used to). I gave him shout outs before (after his PhD defense) but have to say again--his research is awesome because it unites a variety of disciplines in a way that few have tried and even fewer have succeeded. I think this fits him quite well, considering he has such broad interests. Plus he's gonna be a professor at Carnegie Mellon, and I get to call him Dr. J.

Dr. J
Molly is just fabulous. Up, down, and sideways. An amazing actor, though she decided not to make that her profession. She can say more with her facial expressions than most people can say with all their words and their entire body. A hottie and a feminist--a walking contradiction. She has the greatest laugh, a really cool speaking voice, and (always) supa-fly hair. We share a love for vegan chocolate, which, according to J, makes up about 24% of their weekly grocery bill.
[I would like to pause for a moment and point out that it is a secret pride of mine that J and Molly originally knew each other through me]
David has been in grad school since I was learning to read, or something like that (update: he will be getting his PhD in physics later this spring!). You know those ultra high-tech research projects you read about in science magazines? He works on those. I think his project has something to do with measuring the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation that make up the boundary of the universe, or something like that. If I completely made that up, I assure you his real project is even more wild--sounds like it came out of a pulp sci-fi novel. He's such a geek he's come back around to the other side and is ultra-cool, a dancer with sweet glasses. we share a penchant for a dry martini. plus he makes up the funniest dirty limericks I've ever read. He once rhymed De-troit [pronounce in French accent] with haut bois. I smiled for a week.
J is a modern day renaissance man. Hyper smart, a killer designer, ambitiously takes on new projects, and also a fashionista (and in his own excellent style). Writes and records music in his spare time (or used to). I gave him shout outs before (after his PhD defense) but have to say again--his research is awesome because it unites a variety of disciplines in a way that few have tried and even fewer have succeeded. I think this fits him quite well, considering he has such broad interests. Plus he's gonna be a professor at Carnegie Mellon, and I get to call him Dr. J.
Dr. J
Molly is just fabulous. Up, down, and sideways. An amazing actor, though she decided not to make that her profession. She can say more with her facial expressions than most people can say with all their words and their entire body. A hottie and a feminist--a walking contradiction. She has the greatest laugh, a really cool speaking voice, and (always) supa-fly hair. We share a love for vegan chocolate, which, according to J, makes up about 24% of their weekly grocery bill.
[I would like to pause for a moment and point out that it is a secret pride of mine that J and Molly originally knew each other through me]
David has been in grad school since I was learning to read, or something like that (update: he will be getting his PhD in physics later this spring!). You know those ultra high-tech research projects you read about in science magazines? He works on those. I think his project has something to do with measuring the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation that make up the boundary of the universe, or something like that. If I completely made that up, I assure you his real project is even more wild--sounds like it came out of a pulp sci-fi novel. He's such a geek he's come back around to the other side and is ultra-cool, a dancer with sweet glasses. we share a penchant for a dry martini. plus he makes up the funniest dirty limericks I've ever read. He once rhymed De-troit [pronounce in French accent] with haut bois. I smiled for a week.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home