1.2.05

Why I Love My Friends (and why they're cooler than me), part 1

I've decided to have a semi-periodical run of gushing about my friends and why I love them. I'll spotlight a few of them at a time as they spill off the top of my head (so if yer not mentioned, don't feel left out!!)

Mike and Noah, apart from being great artists and transporting the woodcut graffiti of Chicago into their home, have started their own business, [Im]perfect Articles, dyeing and screen printing t-shirts with designs by local artists. Since they started up, they've gotten some good press, too. That kicks ass. I have two of their t-shirts and they are like wearing butter, but with Amazing designs and colors. I could have a million of them (or at least 7--one for each day of the week). They're on my "list of people to visit this year."


Bri (dans Brooklyn, as in no sleep 'till) is my oldest friend [ask him about the time I ran over his head with a sled when we were 10] and is the only person I know who has the balls to attempt a full-fledged acting career. Most of us have loves and dreams we never chase, or go after half-heartedly. He is going after his with his foot stomping the pedal and both hands on the wheel. Plus he's trying to start his own production company for theater/film. He knows the bare minumum about running a production company, but what better way to learn, right? I mean--even if you crash and burn you learn so much in the process that its worth it. Failure? there's no failure in that!! Oh, and he was the first one to tell me about the Arcade Fire, which just cements his status in my hall-of-fame.


Jeff knows more about music than anyone humanly should. He lent me a tape of Rage Against the Machine when they first came out, and I'll always owe him for that. He also DJs at two local bars/venues, which just oozes with cool. Plus he most recently introduced me to Ted Leo and that Probot song with Lemmy from Motorhead singing. God I love that song.
ps--happy birthday, Jeff.

Phil renovates buildings in downtown Detroit, under the forbidding shadow of the Michigan Central Train Station (and its razor wire). Did he have extensive knowledge of building and renovation before he started? He had some, but was hardly an expert. All ambition, creativity, and a healthy dose of stubborness. Jump in the fire and learn by doing. Plus his designs are awesome. I especially like his poured concrete kitchen counters. I also like his community-based reciprocity theory of work, i.e. you help me with my project and I'll help you with yours. He is currently under a non-binding commission by me to build some sweet looking speaker stands.


okay, that's all for now, but more to follow. (perhaps an all-female all-stars next time?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home