30.11.04

Whose house....???

J's house. I went to my friend J's doctoral defense today, and I have to say he kicked major ass. His doctoral work was some of the best I've seen (not that I'm the big expert), and he managed to tie together several disciplines from engineering to psychology to business and marketing. Very cool. Mad props to my brutha. Plus Molly (his partner) was the hot debutante at the defense (as per usual).

It was really amazing to see his defense because he and I started our grad school careers at the same time, in the same lab. Only he stayed the course and I bowed out early. So, hypothetically, I could be getting my Ph.D. right now as well. Do I regret it? Not a bit. He was much better suited for the work than I, and had much cooler ideas, more energy, etc. But it is interesting to see him in the position I may have also been in right now had things turned out slightly differently.

and while watching his defense I had the interesting satisfaction of knowing that I was the initial link between J and Molly, and they've been together for some three years or so. excellent...

--------
on an unrelated note, I'm starting to worry that I've replaced alcohol in my life with pastry and cake. this could get dangerous if it goes on too long--perhaps I need some intervention by friends and family. I blame Molly's vegan chocolate chip brownies (ate 4 today). Though I can't help but think they'd be EXTRA good with eggs in them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home