29.1.05

Tempations

I've been on the no-drinking train for 2 months now and for the most part it has become standard practice. Easy to pass up, I don't think about it much, no big deal. right? Well, I was at a party last night for a friend's birthday and I had killer strong temptations to drink. Lots of beer around, some home-brewed, my friend was drinking red wine and Coke and said it was good and I was dying to find out whether he was right ['cause it sounds nass-tee to me]. Plus the atmosphere was right--it was great to see an old friend, lots of new and interesting people feeling festive, the whole package. I really got to questioning my own resolve and started thinking, "well, maybe 6 months is enough. or, for that matter, maybe 2-3 months is enough." but I stayed the course, had a great time, no harm done.

got talking to my friend today, the one who I'm doing this no-drinking for/with. I guess she's had some really hard temptations in the past few days, and it made mine seem pretty pathetic by comparison. some guy she knew was inviting her over to do coke and she couldn't stop thinking about it. But she said the fact that she can recognize the temptations and tell her friends about them before they occur (instead of after the damage is done) is a big step. Thank God for that.

serendipity? God's guiding hand? [the same thing?] either way, I'm strengthened anew. 1 year it will be. If I can't do that, how can I possibly expect someone else to overpower a true addiction?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home