5.12.04

No Sleep Till....To-kyo!

Riding on the bus from Narita airport to Tokyo. 7pm local time, which makes it 5am to my body. Ouch, indeed. I did catch about 2 or 3 hours on the plane, but coach seats just ain't made for luxury slumber, y'know? I have found that sleep deprivation makes Japan even more of a curiosity than usual. And my delerium is made even more apparent by singing such ditties (while waiting for the bus) as:

"on the road again
just can't wait to get on the road again
I find love is doing business in Japan
I can't wait to get on the road again."

somehow, I found that endlessly clever and humorous.

so the goal is to stay awake and find dinner, then crash around awake and find dinner, then crash around 9pm. The only find dinner, then crash around 9pm. The only problem is that my body likes to snap awake at about 4:30am, because my circadian rhythms tell me it's 2:30 in the afternoon.o it goes. I've got 7 days to get used to the time before heading back.

And the sad news is I've alrady broken down. Right as we were flying over Hudson Bay in northern Canada, I was enjoying an Asahi beer with my dinner. shit-damn-double-damn. I am discovering that this no alcohol business is harder than it looks. I have to say, in my [weak] defense, the can of Asahi was sitting on top of the dinner cart, beckoning to me the whole time the flight attendant was coming down the aisle. I guess the moral of the story is this: if yer on a diet, stay out of the doughnut shop. no use torturing yourself. so with that, I don't think this'll be the last drink I have on this trip. But! once i make landfall in LA on sunday it's back to the plan. Cold turkey, new years eve be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home