27.6.08

10 days B.C.

Katie and I learned when reading listening to Freakonomics that economists often have to look for something in society to change such that they can measure the before/after effect. Then they can Know Something by event-based social experimentation.

I'm about to undergo my own social experiment through a similar method. See, lately my moods have been hovering on the low side of average. My center of emotional mass has been in the red. I've yet to pinpoint why, but I've been quietly blaming it on knowing that I'm leaving work soon yet feeling stuck here for 8-9 hours everyday. I feel like I showed up to a doctor's office months in advance of my appointment and can only fritter away the hours until I go home. You can only read that ten-year-old issue of National Geographic so many times before your mind turns into jelly.

So the social question is: will I feel marked improvement once I tell them I'm leaving, setting into motion all the events that will lead me away from here and into the life I'm trying to get into? Or have I now overanalyzed the situation such that I'm expecting change and have thus stymied any noticeable effect? What I'm trying to say is: I'm hoping for improvement. If it doesn't appear then I've got to figure something else out. And right now there's nothing else in the queue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home