20.6.08

home recording: the early years

my sister and I were just kids when my family lived in saudi arabia. As such, to temper the grandparent mutiny my parents would record us talking and singing songs and send the cassette tape as a peace offering back to the U.S.

I discovered these tapes a few years ago, but they sat mostly unlistened until recently. Most of it is dreadfully boring, and consists of my parents goading us to say more than one word replies and trying to keep us from yelling into the microphone. However, in the midst of all this was a gem of a recording where my sister and I decided to make up a ghost story, complete with music from our plastic electric organ. I can't say the story makes a lot of sense, but at some point my five-year-old self decided that killing santa would come into it. For that, I give you this excerpt.

Happy summer solstice, y'all. It never seems long enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home