raygun & beefcake
this is a "boy meets girl" sort of story, only it's two boys and we don't make out (well, not when sober).
I met Brian almost immediately after moving to Michigan after living in Saudi Arabia for six years. I had been in cub scouts there, so joined up with the boy scouts* when I got here. Brian's dad led our group and we met in their sweet, wood-panel-clad basement. I didn't really know Brian at the time; I'm going to take editor's liberty here and say that he was aloof and had too many friends already, but the truth is I was crazy shy (and still sorta am, at times). Later that winter, on a scout outing to go sledding at the local golf course, I ran over his head with one of those inner tube sleds and hid this fact until just a few years ago. It was just foreshadowing of what was to come.
Fast forward to middle school. Awkward, confusing; trying in vain to figure out where you fit and who are your real friends. Brian and I went on a scout camping trip for a week and we bonded over Eazy-E lyrics and attempting to smoke various dried reeds stuffed with dead grass. Good times. Since then we've seen each other through drunken family christmases, relationship highs and chasmatic depths, long road trips cross-country to see each other, and god only knows what else**.
so it's only fitting that I flew out to see him on his 30th birthday and he is doing likewise. Today he sent me this Achewood comic strip with the lines: "i feel this somehow exemplifies our relationship. it's just so painfully close in so many ways."
it's true. he once confided in me that he's afraid of becoming like Ray, but I think the Ray-Roast Beef relationship is more akin to us than either of the characters separately. But the spooning part is dead-on.
*webelos actually, and points given to the formerly awkward young boy who remembers where the name "webelos" comes from.
**over the years we've managed to perfect the art of skinny dipping, including pool-hopping in his neighborhood in high school and midnight open water swims at his parent's cabin in northern michigan.
I met Brian almost immediately after moving to Michigan after living in Saudi Arabia for six years. I had been in cub scouts there, so joined up with the boy scouts* when I got here. Brian's dad led our group and we met in their sweet, wood-panel-clad basement. I didn't really know Brian at the time; I'm going to take editor's liberty here and say that he was aloof and had too many friends already, but the truth is I was crazy shy (and still sorta am, at times). Later that winter, on a scout outing to go sledding at the local golf course, I ran over his head with one of those inner tube sleds and hid this fact until just a few years ago. It was just foreshadowing of what was to come.
Fast forward to middle school. Awkward, confusing; trying in vain to figure out where you fit and who are your real friends. Brian and I went on a scout camping trip for a week and we bonded over Eazy-E lyrics and attempting to smoke various dried reeds stuffed with dead grass. Good times. Since then we've seen each other through drunken family christmases, relationship highs and chasmatic depths, long road trips cross-country to see each other, and god only knows what else**.
so it's only fitting that I flew out to see him on his 30th birthday and he is doing likewise. Today he sent me this Achewood comic strip with the lines: "i feel this somehow exemplifies our relationship. it's just so painfully close in so many ways."
it's true. he once confided in me that he's afraid of becoming like Ray, but I think the Ray-Roast Beef relationship is more akin to us than either of the characters separately. But the spooning part is dead-on.
*webelos actually, and points given to the formerly awkward young boy who remembers where the name "webelos" comes from.
**over the years we've managed to perfect the art of skinny dipping, including pool-hopping in his neighborhood in high school and midnight open water swims at his parent's cabin in northern michigan.



3 Comments:
I love to read about boys spooning.
Here's to spooning--the true mark of a good friendship.
I think the whole world needs more spooning.
Post a Comment
<< Home