amish gang fight
this is where I talk about why I've biked 65 miles miles in the past week.
When Katie moved to Dearborn we had immediate and persistant commuter's guilt. Thirty-five miles one-way to Ann Arbor. We try to minimize it by sharing a car and driving as efficiently as possible, but it's still infinitely more driving than she used to do. She's never owned a car and, presumably, never will. Pretty impressive, really.
So we drive together, which is a nice way to do it if you have to commute. My work is on the way, so we drop me off first and there I stay, carless in the suburbs with a bike as my only freedom. If I want to go into Ann Arbor after work for rope yoga or meet friends for a drink, I go by bike. Go out to lunch? Bike. Meet a professor to talk about grad school? Drop the car off to get fixed when the bloody radiator hose explodes into a neon green fountain? Two wheel tango.
I could ask to bum rides or borrow a car, but convenience is an addictive narcotic. Pretty soon you wake up in a suburban three-car garage full of lawn equipment and exclaim: "This is not my beautiful house!" In the infamous words of The State, I prefer to think of that option as "off limits."
I haven't figured out what to do when the depths of winter hit. Hermitize and get work done, perhaps.
Speaking of work and gratuitous use of resources, my group just dropped a grand to upgrade the a/c unit to keep our computer cluster cool. A thousand bucks to keep a computer cool. Really??? Some days I dream of living in the homes Katie saw in Costa Rica--the ones with only two walls and a roof and the sand crabs shuffle through the lower level in the night (watch where you step).
When Katie moved to Dearborn we had immediate and persistant commuter's guilt. Thirty-five miles one-way to Ann Arbor. We try to minimize it by sharing a car and driving as efficiently as possible, but it's still infinitely more driving than she used to do. She's never owned a car and, presumably, never will. Pretty impressive, really.
So we drive together, which is a nice way to do it if you have to commute. My work is on the way, so we drop me off first and there I stay, carless in the suburbs with a bike as my only freedom. If I want to go into Ann Arbor after work for rope yoga or meet friends for a drink, I go by bike. Go out to lunch? Bike. Meet a professor to talk about grad school? Drop the car off to get fixed when the bloody radiator hose explodes into a neon green fountain? Two wheel tango.
I could ask to bum rides or borrow a car, but convenience is an addictive narcotic. Pretty soon you wake up in a suburban three-car garage full of lawn equipment and exclaim: "This is not my beautiful house!" In the infamous words of The State, I prefer to think of that option as "off limits."
I haven't figured out what to do when the depths of winter hit. Hermitize and get work done, perhaps.
Speaking of work and gratuitous use of resources, my group just dropped a grand to upgrade the a/c unit to keep our computer cluster cool. A thousand bucks to keep a computer cool. Really??? Some days I dream of living in the homes Katie saw in Costa Rica--the ones with only two walls and a roof and the sand crabs shuffle through the lower level in the night (watch where you step).



1 Comments:
similarly, it kills me when i'm told to book a hotel room for $400/night for one of my bosses on a business trip. that's nearly my monthly student loan bills or nearly a third of my rent.
i guess when one's annual bonus is my annual salary, it's only fair.
Post a Comment
<< Home