27.4.06

the rivers run but soon run dry

I was listening to U2's the joshua tree on the way into work this morning and realized that it would make a killer country** album. Has this been done? it definitely should be. I sang along in my best 1950s am radio country style and thought about how I would record it. all the guitar solos could be done with harmonica or whistling, and maybe (if I was feeling brave or particularly whiskey-soaked) with a touch of old school cowboy yodel. maybe I'll do a whole album of country covers of pop songs; songs of heartbreak, misfortune, and glasses of beer. I think the smiths' "please please please let me get what I want" just made the short list. but what would the name of that project be? sleepy labeef would be perfect, if it wasn't already taken. perhaps something local, like "detroit slim sings songs about the urban wasteland." or maybe I should just ask long division for a good pretend band name. stay tuned: coming to an am 780 golden country station near you: ___________________ sings his country favorites.


**okay, it's already damn close to a country album. but I'm thinking full-on hank williams.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes you really surprise me.

10:03 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

"you know that song 'behind closed doors' by charlie rich? that's one of my favorite songs." - rob, high fidelity

3:32 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

I've got to play you my reel-to-reel recordings of radio muzak from knoxville, circa 1981. they're *incredible*.

3:42 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

is it wrong to post the most comments in your own weblog? i think so. i'm pretty sure it's rule #7 or something.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your last comment was the only to break a rule. rule number one of weblog is you do not talk about weblog.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, there's rules? i'm just been making this junk up as i go.

i think if you're going to comment on your own comment, you should make a different persona... like "insightful .j.william" or "clarence"

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the world needs more of your singing, especially in a country style.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alissa, I think there are certain doubters as to whether the world needs more of his country singing (see: brian, katie)

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is just awesome "tito," i can't stop laughing.

see how much better that made you comment?

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have "Mr. Chin" in my iTunes library, every so often when I shuffle all it comes on and I think "what is this?" (in a good way - not like when Eminem comes on or something like that)

PS: Apologies to Eminem fans everywhere

PPS: Who am I kidding?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Long_Division said...

Okay, I'm all over it. I'm retreating to my think-tank.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home