3.2.06

there are devils in many ways

ever since I lived there, I've always said detroit is a city of contrasts. most people who have never been there before can understand how a fancy restaurant can be directly across the street from the broken shell of a long-abandoned apartment building; how the new fancy condos on woodward can be interspersed with houses that have no roofs. like anything, you get used to it when you see it every day.

I saw in the detroit news how some fancy corporations (e.g., penthouse magazine) are coming in for the super bowl and turning abandoned warehouses in the city into ultra-chic party spots for celebrities and other folks with gratuitous amounts of money. I thought it was an odd turn of events for a city that, back in the 80s and early 90s, was having its abandoned warehouses taken over by techno DJs and party planners to hold raves. Well, at least the amount of drugs consumed will probably be a constant; same scene, different crowd.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Re: Currently Eating/Drinking -- Are you eating baking chocolate again? Just say no.

10:20 PM  
Blogger j-dub said...

no. even more insidious (perhaps). hot chocolate sweetended with sucralose, aka splenda.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home